Crank Plate Issue

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
southbaymoto

Crank Plate Issue

#1 Post by southbaymoto »

As many of you have requested I am going to post some issues with the stock engines and what we are doing to correct them. You all deserve to know what we are charging you for in our kits. As I spoke to in an earlier post our work is not smoke and mirrors.

CRANK PLATE ISSUE:

The Problem.....
The design of the crank plate is flawed in the sense that the supporting bolts are unevenly distributed. After hours of riding and abuse bolts begin to wiggle loose. Unbalanced cranks found in late model cannondales can cause this issue to escalate. Initially this causes the seal to break. Eventually bolts can back out far enough to rub against other internal moving components. The contact will cause increased metal shavings and damage to multiple components if it goes undressed up to and including complete engine failure.

The Symptoms.....
A common symptom is for oil to back out through your air box from the crank case breather tube. Another symptom is for the bike to be burning an abnormal amount of oil, or unexplained, heavy plug fouling. Also heavy metal shavings in the oil at time of change can point to this issue. These are not normal characteristics of this motor. If you see these symptoms something is wrong and needs to be addressed.

The solution.......
OEM bolts are replaced with a more secure bolt and washer to keep crank plate securely in place. Also damaged threads are drilled, tapped and a timesert is used to secure the mount. Cannondale stud update can be effective but is not a guarantee. Loctite will not cure this issue. A new seal is required every time the crank plate is removed (this part can be found at www.cdaleparts.com). It is also recommended that if you experience this issue you have your crank performance balanced.

*Note
This issue can also affect the transmission plate and cause transmission, and case damage if it goes undressed.

If you like this posts please let me know info@southbaymoto.com.

Dustin
SBM

wyndzer

#2 Post by wyndzer »

I like the fact that you are willing to share this information with all of us who read the board. I appreciate any information that will help keep my bike on the trail rather than in the garage.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes Thanks.What about the oilflow to valvetrain what is up with that?

cannondale27

Crankplate with exta hole

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

What do you Southbay guys think of this?I got it right before they shutdown.Do you know anything?

southbaymoto

#5 Post by southbaymoto »

I am forwarding this to my engineer for review. I will get back to you on this.

We tap into the exsisting oil passages in the head and direct oil to needed areas. The dales have had an issue with cam lobes grinding themself down and causing extereme power loss. This assists with the issue.

Dustin