Dual battery setup

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Bags

Dual battery setup

#1 Post by Bags »

Can anyone tell me more about the dual battery setup? Advantages? why? Instructions or how to? Cost? Heard its for faster starts to get the holeshot which really needs attention in my opinion. Thanks.

Bags

haydug

#2 Post by haydug »

Well after a last place start in my first GNCC, I to went on the hunt for the 2nd battery. Look no farther than Jeff @ Quadshop. I bought a tray off of him, which uses the cannondale motorcycle battery, and wiring was very easy. Take the short wire from you seleniod to the starter off, and run it to the negative side of the new battery, then run off positive side of new battery to starter. That should do ya..

moto50

dual battery

#3 Post by moto50 »

Take the short wire from you seleniod to the starter off, and run it to the negative side of the new battery, then run off positive side of new battery to starter.

Shouldnt you go from the posative post on 1 battery to the negative post on the second battery then to the solenoid?

Why would you have one battery before the solenoid and one battery after the solenoid? Wouldnt this make the starter run all the time?

or when you wire it this way does the new battery not get grounded until you hit the starter? so you only use both batteries when you are starting it.

Will your stator charge it this way?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Mjollnir

Re: dual battery

#4 Post by Mjollnir »

Originally posted by moto50
Shouldnt you go from the posative  post on 1 battery to the negative post on the second battery then to the solenoid?

Why would you have one battery before the solenoid and one battery after the solenoid? Wouldnt this make the starter run all the time?

or when you wire it this way does the new battery not get grounded until you hit the starter? so you only use both batteries when you are starting it.

Will your stator charge it this way?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I could be wrong, but I think by running it in series this way, you're putting 24V to your starter, hence it turns twice as fast, and gets you started quicker. :confused:

I don't think the stator would charge it though. I'm no electrical engineer...

Bags

#5 Post by Bags »

That is all that is necessary? What about the lights (if there) and ecu and things that run off 12 volts? Will they be fried by 24 volts? Where does the other battery go? Anyone have any pics?

Bags

moto50

24 volts

#6 Post by moto50 »

I dont think that you get 24 volts when you hook then together.
just more amps.

I just dont understand why you would hook one before the solenoid and one after the solenoid. I wouldnt think your stator would charge the second one?

haydug:confused: :confused: :confused:

haydug

#7 Post by haydug »

I talked with Jeff @ Quad shop, and this is how he has his bike wired up. I think I can get him to post some pictures of his bike, or I will post them of mine as soon as I get it mounted.
My understanding is wired this way it sends 24 v to the starter for quicker starts, but only 12v to the rest of the system.
As soon as I know FOR SURE, I will post.

Bags

#8 Post by Bags »

That is what I have been thinking...just kinda hesitant about it all right now. Pictures can tell a thousand words. Thanks all.

Bags

moto50

dual battery

#9 Post by moto50 »

So does your second battery get charged by your stator or do you have to charge it with a battery charger after every ride?

haydug

#10 Post by haydug »

I'm not 100% sure yet. All I can tell you is my bike cranks a few times to start, and I pushed Jeff's start button and it about threw the piston out the top of the cylinder. He got the holeshot on a dead engine start. It must work is all I know.