Compression Dilemma

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
yamadjs08

#1 Post by yamadjs08 »

Well here is the deal, had this ATK 450 from Jeff Stoess. Quad ran when we got it but smoked and knocked. It supposedly didn't have many hours on it after being rebuilt. Tore it down, knocking was a broken cam cap bolt and so every revolution the cam would pop up and hit the valve cover, pretty strange. No big deal had a brand new ported head from Timbo with good cams in it, I'll just run that. Upon further inspection the piston and sleeve were pretty scarred up, not sure why. After removing the piston the oil ring was most definitely installed wrong and was over lapping, causing the burning oil problem I'm sure.

So I put a brand new Asso stock piston kit in it. along with this ported head. Put it all back together fired right up and ran pretty good, I broke it in a bit and began to tune it. At first it ran good, but after a while it developed a hiccup and would stumble pretty bad in the mid range. I figured it had to be the tuning, so I started tuning it more and EcuDiag failed when sending a map, that sucks, it messed up the Hex code and no I'll have to send it to someone to reflash. No biggie though got plenty of ECUs on the bench. Swapped one in loaded the settings. Stumbling got progressively worse, to the point where you had to go idle, or all out, no in between because it would stumble and miss so bad. Tuned it for hours and the weird thing was none of it would help the stumbling. It seemed like it was starving for fuel but after pulling the plug it was black so definitely not.

We switched out a bunch of things, coil, voltage regulator, and still it was doing this. After loading another map I took off on it and bam it just dies in my driveway and wont fire what so ever, something is definitely wrong. Spun flywheel I thought, or sheared key, nope not at all. Checked the compression and it read zero compression. All that I could think was that I didn't tighten the tensioner all the way or something ridiculous and it jumped time. Yanked the motor out, everything looks good. Not sure where to go with it. Lots of black soot on the exhaust ports. Piston is covered in fuel it seems, hopefully not oil? It is also pretty dark and dirty already.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is a downer for me being that its the first piston kit I've installed and I was so happy to hear it run good at first and now I'm just disappointed as ****.

yamadjs08

#2 Post by yamadjs08 »

Pulled the head off. Sleeve is scarred. Not good, pretty upset that I just threw $150 away and don't even know what happened. Brand new ported head from Timbo that had new valves installed and the intake valve is sticking. Oh boy.

I can do a 2jz-gte swap on my Lexus IS300 but can't put a Cannondale motor together right. Yay

Who can I send some of these motors too that will do quick easy rebuilds for cheap? This is getting ridiculous.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

Did you gap the rings ? If you throw them in without gapping them they usualy gall up the sleeve. I had a tiny bit if dirt get in a intake valve seat once from a torn throttle body boot. It lost compresion from it and wouldnt start.

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

ewww, that sucks

yamadjs08

#5 Post by yamadjs08 »

I did gap the rings, but maybe I did something wrong? There were a few black specs on the piston that were of an unknown origin haha. Definitely not good, not sure where it came from it kind of seemed like FIPG but there is no way it got into the cylinder. I got another new piston kit that was for another motor but maybe I'll give it another shot. I'm not sure how bad the cylinder is, I got pretty frustrated and got out of my shop ASAP. Is it possible that anything is salvageable? Maybe hone the cylinder for re use?

What really gets me is the sticky valve? This head was sent to timbo, was ported and had new valves and I think new buckets? Either way I'm sure timbo would have made sure they weren't sticky. Head sat in a box for like six months, I put it on and now a sticky intake valve? Definitely confusing and I'm not sure if I'm ballsy enough to tear into the head... Ughhh

Happyboy

#6 Post by Happyboy »

Why do you say it has as sticky valve? Is it stuck open now?

cdale490

#7 Post by cdale490 »

QUOTE (yamadjs08 @ May 25 2009, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pulled the head off. Sleeve is scarred. Not good, pretty upset that I just threw $150 away and don't even know what happened. Brand new ported head from Timbo that had new valves installed and the intake valve is sticking. Oh boy.

I can do a 2jz-gte swap on my Lexus IS300 but can't put a Cannondale motor together right. Yay

Who can I send some of these motors too that will do quick easy rebuilds for cheap? This is getting ridiculous.

Hi I am new here.

yamadjs08

#8 Post by yamadjs08 »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ May 25 2009, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why do you say it has as sticky valve? Is it stuck open now?

It was stuck open when I pulled the head off. And it continues to stick open if I turn the cams over.

Happyboy

#9 Post by Happyboy »

hmm...If its sticking open that bad i am a little worried it might actualyl be bent a little bit. It could just be stuck but I would really pull the valves out and inspect them for bending. Normally if Tim is doing the headwork he cleans up that back right bucket area to prevent sticking.

yamadjs08

#10 Post by yamadjs08 »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ May 25 2009, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hmm...If its sticking open that bad i am a little worried it might actualyl be bent a little bit. It could just be stuck but I would really pull the valves out and inspect them for bending. Normally if Tim is doing the headwork he cleans up that back right bucket area to prevent sticking.

Sounds likely. Not sure how it could have gotten bent. It was still in time when I pulled it apart. This just got deep haha.