How loud???

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
UpsMan

#11 Post by UpsMan »

QUOTE (Kuma @ Aug 8 2009, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It might help if you lower your rev limit down to 8000 if they are just running at 1/2 the limit, then load in your regular map wink.gif

Thats not how it works. Whoever is doing the testing usually has a book that tells what rpm each make should be tested at and a little device they place on the vehicle that tells what rpm it is at from the vibration of the machine.

cannondale27

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

When they tested mine Cannondale wasnt in the book so they went 4000rpm!Didnt help any.

speed 450mx

#13 Post by speed 450mx »

QUOTE (darkknight @ Aug 7 2009, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can see and even agree on regulating how loud a machine can be on the trails, but in closed course racing I dont think it should matter especially since the races dont take place that often or even last all that long. we need our sport to grow like nascar, circle track, drag racing, and truck pulls....etc those events have no noise limitations. someday so until then I try to race small ma and pa circuts instead of district cause I highly doubt that even one of my 3 quads would pass and amazingly my yfz450 is the loudest by far.

Most circle tracks, drag racing now have to use mufflers to keep there sound down

SlOoT

#14 Post by SlOoT »

I have made a toaster (100% empty/gutted) on my FMF header. I did not realy notice a loss in power, but the noise is much less. They did measure me trackside (while I was riding) and they did not come to see me wich means its below the 100db limit.

Sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT3CCzQiamw

I do not realy like the sound and looks, but it does get the job done.

SlOoT

#15 Post by SlOoT »

omg, they pulled me off the track, 2db too loud with the gutted toaster...

wistech

#16 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (m_mcgranahan @ Aug 6 2009, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

SO it looks like the 96db standard is being forced on all of us more and more and so I was curious if anyone has tested the FMF TI system to see what the db output is at 5,500 rpm and 20 inches away from the exhaust?

THanks

God bless...

Mark

As I recall the first time I got tested (unofficial by motobill) My ti with quiet core blew 98db and was at 96 if I put my leg up against the sidecover. With the duals and quiet cores it blew 98 again with an official dnr sound check. I think my duals with the large core toasters and cannondale screens are the way to go . I cant get my meter to function properly but its clear they are quiet . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHIkmEFgFIk

Mike also has a several exhausts that might make the sound levels without losing any power.

funmachines

#17 Post by funmachines »

I measured my X440s at 20 in with the stock FMF with a quiet core in it and was just below 100 dB. I have a FMF Q on my E440 and that is definitely less loud, but I have not measured it yet. It seems just a little bit less than the toaster I have on the quad. I used to have a Yoshi RS muffler on the quad and even with the quiet core that restricts it like crazy it was the loudest of the bunch (including the X440s FMF with no quiet core!).

jesshamner

#18 Post by jesshamner »

Make sure they are following the AMA guidlines found here:

http://www.amadirectlink.com/rulebooks/200..._rulebook09.pdf

Page 164/179

Looks to me like the AMA only requires 4500 rpm for our machines.

ACEwrench

#19 Post by ACEwrench »

i dont think there is any way short of stuffing it with steel wool to get it too pass and im sure you'd have to put the spark arrestor in it to help..

Trouble

#20 Post by Trouble »

yeah you would have to use a end cap with a 1/2 inch diameter hole in it to be under 96db