Engine Problem

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Lightman02

#1 Post by Lightman02 »

I might have a seized engine, my bike has been sitting for a year and I recently got it going again. I changed the oils and coolant and she fired up good. She was running great and then sputtered and locked up it seems. I will investigate more tommorrow, it's an 03 and I did have the ATK updates done to it sometime ago. So if I need a rebuild, where can I send it and how much am I looking at would u say??

Thanks

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

You mentioned that you drained and re-filled the coolant.
Does it have an aluminum valvecover?, and did you check that the bleeder line to the coolant bottle was not plugged up? If so, or if not equipped for auto-bleed..........did you happen to bleed the air out of the impeller chamber manually?..... using the bleeder bolt?

Anyway, simple draining and refilling of the coolant is a too-common cause for loss of prime at the coolant pump, and the machine would overheat after 15-20 minutes.

Lightman02

#3 Post by Lightman02 »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Aug 16 2009, 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You mentioned that you drained and re-filled the coolant.
Does it have an aluminum valvecover?, and did you check that the bleeder line to the coolant bottle was not plugged up? If so, or if not equipped for auto-bleed..........did you happen to bleed the air out of the impeller chamber manually?..... using the bleeder bolt?

Anyway, simple draining and refilling of the coolant is a too-common cause for loss of prime at the coolant pump, and the machine would overheat after 15-20 minutes.

Yes, I went though all that and do have the bleader on the pump, I did check the bleader and coolant was coming out back into the coolant bottle. Also both radiator hoses as well as the radiator was warm so I know it was cooling well. As far as the aluminum valve cover, not sure if I have it but didn't notice anything in the water pump when I inspected the impeller.

Canniboomer

#4 Post by Canniboomer »

OK great, so overheat is not an issue.

But if you suspect any lock up, you could try turning it over manually at the flywheel nut.
You can detect if things feel normal from there.

Lightman02

#5 Post by Lightman02 »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Aug 17 2009, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK great, so overheat is not an issue.

But if you suspect any lock up, you could try turning it over manually at the flywheel nut.
You can detect if things feel normal from there.

I removed the plug and got it to turn but its not the hydrolock issue, it's def an engine problem. When I turn it over by hand you can feel it get rough and then free up again. I actually got it started and it ran for a few seconds and came to a dead stop. I assuume that it's bottom end i'm looking at???

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

Try grabbing the flywheel and see if there is any up and down play (movement). That could be a crank bearing going.

Lightman02

#7 Post by Lightman02 »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Aug 17 2009, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try grabbing the flywheel and see if there is any up and down play (movement). That could be a crank bearing going.

Yeah it's most likely the bearing as I found metal shavings in the oil filter.

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

If I was you, I would not try to start or run the motor again without a tear down and rebuild. Things go downhill real quick from there. Check your starter one way bearing while you are in there.

Lightman02

#9 Post by Lightman02 »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Aug 18 2009, 06:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I was you, I would not try to start or run the motor again without a tear down and rebuild. Things go downhill real quick from there. Check your starter one way bearing while you are in there.

Yup, agree, I already ordered the flywheel puller and as soon as I have time I'm gonna tear it apart.

Trouble

#10 Post by Trouble »

hopefully its not too serious but i had a yz mx bike due that and it was the big end rod bearing starting to go.i have also seen camshaft caps not torqued properly do the same thing as well.let us know what you find