Evans Coolant

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
duke416ex

#1 Post by duke416ex »

Just a little thought here. I read where most say Evans is best for Cannondales. i have read on other forums how good it was too, but I have also read that it has an extremely high boiling point. I have read on builder that said they have torn engines down that have never boiled the evans coolant but have been so hot internally that bearing were just coming apart. Just curious if maybe this was a cause to some engine failures and it may be all wrong.

Once you put on an aluminum valve cover does it really matter which one you use?

kevin444

#2 Post by kevin444 »

well im currently juggling the coolant issue my self. im out here in vegas and its been 110+* for the last few months. i want her to run cooler due to the extreme temps. its been so hot out here that i've boiled over my gas tanks to many times. i end up with vapor lock of fuel pump and get stuck miles from camp. i've been told that these tanks are great with dealing with heat, but once they warm up they hold in the the heat just as well. i've wrapped the exhaust and even coated the bottom and side of the tank with exhaust wrap and "a combo of silicon / liquid nails" seems to help out real well, but have yet to really put it to the test! not taking the chance with a 2nd rebuild....

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

With aluminum cover you can run anything. Not sure how well the exhaust wrap will work on tank but I used some of the stick on aluminum sheating you can get about any where. A combo of exhaust wrap and the aluminum stick on stuff would for sure take care of any heat. A lot of OEM's use similar for exhaust shields like over a catalytic convertor.

jesshamner

#4 Post by jesshamner »

duke416ex, I run Engine Ice with no problems. It's fine for our climate.

Happyboy

#5 Post by Happyboy »

I run cheap ole yeller coolant. When you have the aluminum cover it doesn't really matter. I have yet to boil over on it too.

Kuma

#6 Post by Kuma »

I have always heard that ethelene glycol (old yeller) does not work well without water, Evans is propylene glycol, same as less toxic coolants.
The plus of the Evans, at least what they advertise is that with normal coolants you could have a hot spot in your motor which could boil the coolant in that location compounding the issue, with the Evans high boiling point you have better cooling. I buy mine from Aircraft Spruce that is the only coolant they sell.
If you have a functioning status light and keep an eye on it then with the aluminum cover it's your choice.

speedracer

#7 Post by speedracer »

Kevin444, did you try moving your fuel pump yet? Maybe on the ECU tray, to keep it away from engine heat.

kevin444

#8 Post by kevin444 »

yup sure did. there is no doubt that the pump is getting heat from the stock mounting location. makes no sense to me why it would be firmly attached to out frame "oil cooler" and then sit right behind the radiator as well. i noticed improvements for sure, but still want to upgrade the tank fittings before ever pushing her in this extreme heat again. really looking forward to some cooler weather in the next few weeks. here's a shot after i got some powder coating....so pretty, and the powder is so durable!

sorry for the hijack.....had to share some pics though and have been dealing with the coolant issue / heat trust me......damm desert!

kevin

kevin444

#9 Post by kevin444 »

here some more if get a look you can see where i made my "improvements" to the tank.....

speedracer

#10 Post by speedracer »

Say Keven444,you might want to get a battery hold down bracket instead of zip-ties.I have an extra if you need it.