Tranny losing fluids

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Crazie

#1 Post by Crazie »

I'm not 100%, but twice this past week, I've gone on rides and when the ride was over, I had very little (if any) tranny fluid left.

The last time, I had engine oil leak from the breather and dribble down the frame. It wasn't massive overflow, but I noticed it was there.

The absolute strangest thing, is that the engine oil (both times) only drained at 1.5qt. Granted, I may have puked out all the extra, but it certainly doesn't look like I was wearing .5qt on the quad.

I've put some leak detector in the tranny fluid and plan on doing one more ride so I can inspect the motor oil to see if there is 100% positive confirmation of cross contamination.

From talking to a few guys, a cracked case seems the obvious answer.

Just wanted to see what you guys think in the mean time. On a side note, I did let it idle for about 20 minutes and putt around in 1st gear for a couple minutes, then drained the tranny fluid and got 16oz out of it, which is exactly what I filled it with.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

pop the clutch cover and pressure test the case through the engines breather hose(7psi). Listen and look for a leak. Pull the clutch out as well for better view. The scavange pump system is the most likely culprit as it is a low pressure area. Check the pump cover ,seal,and suction tube from the head. I will admit I also worked on an engine Timbo and I could not figure this same issue. Drain the tranny oil and spray soapy water in there .

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

I was thinking about this. A better test would be to apply vacuum to it since a seal under pressure will seal better than normal. Under vacuum you could use a candle or cigarette and watch if smoke goes towards scavenger pump seal or anywhere else. Get ahold of a pump used for making sealed foodbags or could use a vacuum cleaner.

Crazie

#4 Post by Crazie »

Good idea Steve....I may will give that a shot. Where do you think I should hook the vacuum/pump up at? Anywhere in the engine oil side or a specific location?

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Anywhere convenient on engine oil side should work. Just have to block off any open ones.

Crazie

#6 Post by Crazie »

Well, I'm dragging up a super old post. It's been this long (6 months and counting) before I even started to dig in and get things going again. I need to get up and running by dune season, so it's time to get dirty.

I removed the engine this weekend and took the tranny side cover off. I've snapped a few pics and wanted to know if anyone can spot areas for concern. It looks good to me, minus a couple of things that I'll mention, but I wanted some 2nd, maybe 3rd or 4th opinions.

All pics of tranny side.

1st pic...top side of the engine

Crazie

#7 Post by Crazie »

2nd Pic...bottom left

Crazie

#8 Post by Crazie »

3rd Pic...bottom right side

Crazie

#9 Post by Crazie »

4th Pic.. this is where I have a slight concern.

In the circled areas, there were a few gouges and some material worn away. I'm not sure if this was there before or not. Is this enough material loss to cause concern? What could cause this, aside from uneven torque on the pressure plate? Can I run it like this, or should I replace it?

Crazie

#10 Post by Crazie »

5th Pic... Pressure Plate

I didn't see any wear marks on the pressure plate, but I was close to my stopping point for the day so I just snapped the pics really quick. Just figured I'd post this in case someone sees something I missed.

Keep in mine these are not issues which caused me to break into the engine. The engine oil overflowing is the cause (read above), I'm just trying to do thorough inspection/maintenance while she's naked.

Thanks for the help fellas, as always!!!