Tranny losing fluids

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Crazie

#21 Post by Crazie »

Just tried the suction test (hooked vacuum up to the valve cover hose). Not sure if that's a good place or not, but didn't notice any smoke being pulled into the case at all.

I'm wondering if I should pull the tranny out and check for any cracks there? Or maybe just use the compressed air and some soapy water before pulling the tranny?

Any suggestions? I don't really want to pull more than necessary, but I'm certainly not ruling it out.

Canniboomer

#22 Post by Canniboomer »

I think gentle air pressure to the oil inlet, and some spray soap should reveal something obvious. You could also use something like this with an air chuck or a bicycle pump.

cannondale27

#23 Post by cannondale27 »

For sure try the compressed air also.I also had one that wouldnt show a leak until the next morning.Had 5psi in it and nothing.Next morning I tried it again and bubbled like crazy at pin access cover.Why it wouldnt do it right away I have no idea but assume temp changes affect leaks alot.That brings up another idea.Take a blowdryer or heat gun to the motor.You never know!

Gibson265R

#24 Post by Gibson265R »

You could also have a problem with that valve cover. I noticed that it looks pretty hammered on the upper left corner. The right corner doesnt look too good either... Anyway, pull the tranny also, its no big deal to take it out since it all comes out and goes back together in one piece. Good Luck!

Crazie

#25 Post by Crazie »

Well, I had a chance today to resume working on the quad. I couldn't find anything doing a pressure test, but I think I found the problem. I think the motor had to be running for the leak to be present (just a guess).

I started removing the tranny, and found that all but one of the cartridge plate bolts were merely finger tight at best. The entire assembly had a bit of play, but I wasn't sure if it was normal or not until I removed it. Turns out the cartridge plate is broken at a bolt hole.

Pics to follow, please let me know what you guys think.

pic1 & 2 - Case (left most and right most bolt holes had some sort of spacer or possibly cartridge plate guides that broke from the bolts being loose....thankfully they were in tact until removed)

Crazie

#26 Post by Crazie »

More pics.. one more of the case, and then of the bolts / carnage from the bolt holes.

Crazie

#27 Post by Crazie »

Next up....gears and plate. I noticed some more rust deposits on things but nothing out of the ordinary (minus the obvious break on the mounting point).

Crazie

#28 Post by Crazie »

Couple shots of the outer side of the plate

Canniboomer

#29 Post by Canniboomer »

hmmmn,...there appears to be impact chatter around the upper left tranny plate hole. That indicates the bolt was loose. So now you also have to be suspicious of all the Crank Cartridge Plate bolts, which were obviously installed at the same time.

Is that a hairline crack in the main case?...about 1 inch below the same hole -- just where the case starts to curve outward?

Crazie

#30 Post by Crazie »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Sep 11 2009, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hmmmn,...there appears to be impact chatter around the upper left tranny plate hole. That indicates the bolt was loose. So now you also have to be suspicious of all the Crank Cartridge Plate bolts, which were obviously installed at the same time.

Is that a hairline crack in the main case?...about 1 inch below the same hole -- just where the case starts to curve outward?

Well, at first I thought you were talking about the casting marks, so I went out with a flash light and sure enough, there is a hairline crack beneath the hole. Here's a better pic, but it's still hard to see. Looks like this just got a bit more "Involved" than I had hoped for... biggrin.gif