OK I need some help please!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
mtheaded

#1 Post by mtheaded »

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum because i recently purchased a 01 speed in the Rochester NY area. When i bought the quad i knew it needed some tweaking to get it running right but i never imagined it would take me months of replacing parts and troubleshooting to get me where i started....very frustrating! So far everything i have done to the machine has not had an effect at all. The speed will start an idle forever but when i give it gas it cuts out and sometimes stalls burping out of the air box, almost like its flooding. Also, i noticed some discharge out of the breather hose by the air filter and its "milky" looking not straight oil. So far i replaced the fuel pump, spark plug, scavenge gears, battery, checked all connections, checked fly wheel, new quick connects, gas lines, and fuel filter. Is there something else i should looks for?, I'm getting so pissed off that i want to light it on fire! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated guys...thanks

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Did you clean the fuel tank strainer in the tank. Did you check the TPS for nice smooth linear voltage? For fuel pressure isses a permanent fuel pressure gauge built into the system is worth its wieght in gold.

kevin444

#3 Post by kevin444 »

i went through some of the same bs; and now have a bad !#! machine and can build it blind folded from the crank up. sounds like you you might have coolant / water in the oil; which means probably have a cracked sleeve. new sleeve, piston, rings: $125 bucks or so. i would tear it down and go through the whole thing; its a learning process.....got to run but will get back with ya later; other will chime in...give them time...

kevin

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (mtheaded @ Sep 4 2009, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum because i recently purchased a 01 speed in the Rochester NY area. When i bought the quad i knew it needed some tweaking to get it running right but i never imagined it would take me months of replacing parts and troubleshooting to get me where i started....very frustrating! So far everything i have done to the machine has not had an effect at all. The speed will start an idle forever but when i give it gas it cuts out and sometimes stalls burping out of the air box, almost like its flooding. Also, i noticed some discharge out of the breather hose by the air filter and its "milky" looking not straight oil. So far i replaced the fuel pump, spark plug, scavenge gears, battery, checked all connections, checked fly wheel, new quick connects, gas lines, and fuel filter. Is there something else i should looks for?, I'm getting so pissed off that i want to light it on fire! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated guys...thanks

Lets start at the beginning.... Is there still milky looking oil coming out of the breather? If so, stop and find out why. It doesn't matter what other problems you have and whether or not it idles fine. Milky oil means water (coolant) and engine oil is mixing. Nothing else matters until you get this fixed. The oil may be coming out of the breather due to bad scavenge pump gears, but the oil should not be milky colored! Common issues: Corroded valve cover (allows coolant from the water pump to enter engine) fix: alum valve cover. Another issue may be a cracked sleeve which would allow coolant to get into the oil. Lastly, it could be a seal on the head to case leaking. You need to find this problem first!

The problem with the way it runs should be inexpensive and easily fixable. You are on the right track except for the possiblity that it may need to have the throttle calibrated with a D&M kit. If you don't have one, ask on this forum for someone close to you to see if anyone can help. Better yet, bring the bike to the Group Ride in Bradford, PA next week (next weekend) and you will meet up with some of the best minds on these motors. We will get you set straight. If it's something that can't be fixed easily, you can ride one of our bikes to see what you are missing and know what your bike could be.

cannondalemaine

#5 Post by cannondalemaine »

Try reseating the injectors and injector plugs. Also pull the relay in the front maybe that might be the problem it does some funny things.

mtheaded

#6 Post by mtheaded »

Geez now that's service!...you guys are on the ball! haha hey thanks for the fast replies gentlemen. I was thinking it could be possibly be an ECU issue also but not real experienced with these machines, they are definitely unique. I am concerned with they "milky" oil problem but what is weird is it didn't do that before i replaced the scavenge gears. I do not have a D&M kit so i can't test for problems with tuning. I cleaned the filter in the tank when i replaced the quick disconnects so that can be eliminated. I would be interested in joining fellow Cannondalers in Bradford next weekend, does anyone have more info about the event that they can send me? Keep the replies coming guys, this helps tremendously...thanks again

Oh yeah, almost forgot!...the fuel pressure returning to the tank is weak, it used to shoot a solid stream but now it just intermittently trickles out. What do you think that could be, i replaced the fuel pump...

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (mtheaded @ Sep 4 2009, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Geez now that's service!...you guys are on the ball! haha hey thanks for the fast replies gentlemen. I was thinking it could be possibly be an ECU issue also but not real experienced with these machines, they are definitely unique. I am concerned with they "milky" oil problem but what is weird is it didn't do that before i replaced the scavenge gears. I do not have a D&M kit so i can't test for problems with tuning. I cleaned the filter in the tank when i replaced the quick disconnects so that can be eliminated. I would be interested in joining fellow Cannondalers in Bradford next weekend, does anyone have more info about the event that they can send me? Keep the replies coming guys, this helps tremendously...thanks again

You said you replaced the scavenger pump gears.Why?They dont just break or strip.It is caused about 80% of time by the decomp breaking and a piece falling in there.Have you done a compression check and checked the decomp?

kevin444

#8 Post by kevin444 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Sep 4 2009, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You said you replaced the scavenger pump gears.Why?They dont just break or strip.It is caused about 80% of time by the decomp breaking and a piece falling in there.Have you done a compression check and checked the decomp?

oh that damm decomp! i know all about that....took out both my brand new cams on the 4th july.....