intermittent spark and fuel

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
djmc

#1 Post by djmc »

I had a little trouble in the spring when I jumped started my 02 dale and the fuel pump quit working. Seemed to work itself out until now. I jumped started it the other day and accidentally touched the starter terminal instead of the + battery terminal. Once I did that it would not start. I pulled the coil wire to find a weak and occasional spark. Stranger yet was what happened to the fuel delivery. The pump was not coming on when I bumped the start button. What I found was that if I pulled the clutch and bumped the starter I could get the starter to turn but no fuel pump. If I did not pull the clutch lever and bumped the start button the fuel pump and relay clearly come on but only once. If you pull the clutch and bump the starter again then bump the start button without the clutch lever pulled you can again get one shot out of the fuel pump and relay. I have an ecu coming just to try it out but are there any other ideas? I have tried disconnecting the fuel pump and connected it to a 12v source and it runs fine. I would appreciate any input you guys might have.

UpsMan

#2 Post by UpsMan »

First, get a new battery.

MyCannibal

#3 Post by MyCannibal »

you fried the ecu...thats my guess.

UpsMan

#4 Post by UpsMan »

GEt a new battery. Really.

Happyboy

#5 Post by Happyboy »

Jumping directly on the starter should not have jacked the ecu up. But if you have a dead battery it can cause all sorts of issues.