Testing a new sleeve

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
kevin444

#21 Post by kevin444 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Nov 13 2009, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool!The basics are there just need some improvements.Decomp mechanism has been a personal thorn in my side.Lost two motors because of them failing and another just went wednesday.I am about to throw the decomp in the garbage and deal with losing deadengine starts out of frustration with decomp.I know many feel same way about flywheel.I feel we have to get more reliability before hp is increased anymore.Once the final issues are fixed then heck yeah more is better!

don't want to chage the subject here, but i had my "new" decomp explode on me during the last 4th of July and pissed me off! loss both cams! i know this engine very well now, but i dont like the decomp. i understand how it works, but will the starter crank this with the decomp removed? i'm all about fixing this issue; hate to loose my new engine this season to the same problem again....

cannondale27

#22 Post by cannondale27 »

I hear you.Yes the starter will start motor without decomp but everything has to be just perfect.Cold weather I dont think it can do it.Plus it must be very hard on starter clutch,oneway,starter and even the wiring gets hot if cranked.I dont want to do it but I am done with what we have.I had the best in there.All billet and it still failed.Will take pics soon.

kevin444

#23 Post by kevin444 »

great!

cannondale27

#24 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (hartracing3478 @ Nov 13 2009, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
they machine a boss in the head of the engine and use a 2 way silinoid valve

Could you point me to a picture of this or something?I would prefer manual for reliability but this is new to me.

hartracing3478

#25 Post by hartracing3478 »

i will see if i can find one, and ill post it, do you think we could use a different starter? do you think we could modify one of these starters below?

hartracing3478

#26 Post by hartracing3478 »

this is the best picture i could find. you can barely see the silinoid valve. do you have any designs of decomps you would like to try?

Dachshund

#27 Post by Dachshund »

That seems easy enough as long as there is a place to put it in the head. You could just wire it so it opens when the starter is activated.

hartracing3478

#28 Post by hartracing3478 »

wiring it to the starter would work.

cannondale27

#29 Post by cannondale27 »

Weakest link in the starting system is the one-way bearing.See our starter is always engaged and the one way prevents the motor from turning the starter when running.No Bendix.The one-way requires total engine disassembly to replace.So going without decomp is a big decision.

hartracing3478

#30 Post by hartracing3478 »

That would be a big decision. Good news on the billet block tho! I have almost completed the auto cad design for the new block. Hopefully mid- next week i will be able to start machining my block of phenolic and take measurements to make sure im going in the right direction. I will be using the Harley Davidson Screaming Eagle 100 CI piston kit with my nicom sleeve, i will be re-designing the head as well to allow for bigger cams, and valves. I will also be using berryllium valve seats, and titanium valve springs, stroker crank, and oversized throttle body. Depending if I stay with the cannondale ecu or not will depend on how far i go from there. The good thing about this block is You will be able to use any of the piston kits that are available currently from your engine builder by using changing to a different cylinder sleeve,that can be pressed out . I want to make this as compatible as i can to cannondale replacement parts. If this goes as well as i imagine, there will be many of these produced. In my Bob cad program its looking to take approximately 12 hours to machine one billet block. I will keep everyone updated , once my prototype is made i will submit pictures and specifications as well. Im really looking forward to this big step. I also plan to improve our flywheels along with the decompression issue. Keep the ideas and suggestions coming. Thanks