Missing Some Coolant

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Lightman02

#1 Post by Lightman02 »

So I usually start my quad every two weeks even if I'm not riding it to keep things lubricated and so it doesn't just sit. However I noticed after checking the radiator lines that it was cold. So I checked the coolant bottle and there was nothing in it. I drained the radiator and bleeder and noticed about I was a quater low. I do have the magneseium cover and suspect that's my leak I also noticed the quad was a little hard to start so I assume the plug is getting fouled with coolant. However I want to make sure thats the problem. Is there any way to check the sleeve with out pulling the head?? Also I'm suprised with that much coolant missing that it didn't smoke out the exhaust or hydrolock. Also as of right now I can't tell if there is water in the oil as it look normal, not seeing white or bubbles.

Thanks

Brad77

#2 Post by Brad77 »

If that much coolant went into the cylinder then I am sure it would have hydrolocked. Also even if a little was in the cylinder then it should have blown white smoke out the exhaust. When you drained the oil the level of oil was normal? Also coolant in the oil is usually easy to notice. What about an external leak? Like the bottle itself or a coolant hose? I do highly recommend getting an aluminum valve cover.

Lightman02

#3 Post by Lightman02 »

QUOTE (Brad77 @ Jan 13 2010, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If that much coolant went into the cylinder then I am sure it would have hydrolocked. Also even if a little was in the cylinder then it should have blown white smoke out the exhaust. When you drained the oil the level of oil was normal? Also coolant in the oil is usually easy to notice. What about an external leak? Like the bottle itself or a coolant hose? I do highly recommend getting an aluminum valve cover.

I didn't see any white smoke which is bothering me as well. I havnt drained the oil but the bike was running for alittle before I noticed the radiator was cold and I checked the oil with the dipstick and didn't notice anything strange. I havn't yet drained the oil.

peterock

#4 Post by peterock »

what kind of coolant are you using? Did you have any puddles under the machine? Where do you live and what kind of temps you have right now?

Lightman02

#5 Post by Lightman02 »

QUOTE (peterock @ Jan 13 2010, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what kind of coolant are you using? Did you have any puddles under the machine? Where do you live and what kind of temps you have right now?

I'm using Engine Ice, I didn't see any puddles but then again the quad is kept outside in a car port under it is dirt so if it was leaking it would have soaked into the ground. I live in NJ it's been in the teens and 20's here.

Happyboy

#6 Post by Happyboy »

If the timing chain side piston pin access cover has loosened you could have coolant pushing into the tranny side. Check your site glass or you can always pull the clutch cover and check it pretty easy. If its gray then you got water into your tranny.

SlOoT

#7 Post by SlOoT »

The coolant is either on the ground or in the engine.

Check the bottom of the quad to see if there is coolant there dripping.

Kuma

#8 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (SlOoT @ Jan 13 2010, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The coolant is either on the ground or in the engine.

Check the bottom of the quad to see if there is coolant there dripping.

also would be a good time to change your oils, it soulld be evident if there is water/coolant, keep tract of the amount drained out.

Lightman02

#9 Post by Lightman02 »

QUOTE (Kuma @ Jan 13 2010, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
also would be a good time to change your oils, it soulld be evident if there is water/coolant, keep tract of the amount drained out.

Going to drain the oil tommorrow and see what I find. As well as remove the water pump cover.

Lightman02

#10 Post by Lightman02 »

QUOTE (Lightman02 @ Jan 13 2010, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Going to drain the oil tommorrow and see what I find. As well as remove the water pump cover.

Nothing in the oil at all, going to try to test it, refilling and seeing if there is any leak that maybee only happends under pressure.