will not start

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
JOEYblaze440

#1 Post by JOEYblaze440 »

i just got my motor redone but will not start. the starter gets hot and the power wire from starter solenoid to starter smokes. it turns over but its realy slow and the starter has a loud winding noise.
i checked spark, feul, new batt, all new sensors, have 2 starters(used) does same thing w/ both. i bypassed solenoid to see if it crank faster did not work. new wiring since last year. the quad has pretty much everything new. the only thing i havent touched is the ecu. it also was doing this before the rebuild
any suggestions?

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Sounds like your decomp isnt working right.

moto440

#3 Post by moto440 »

mine is hard starting to and the starter will stop sometimes like it cant get by the comp stroke starting to wonder if my decomp might be to blame too??? it will start though just takes a bit to get it too

JOEYblaze440

#4 Post by JOEYblaze440 »

QUOTE (moto440 @ Apr 16 2010, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mine is hard starting to and the starter will stop sometimes like it cant get by the comp stroke starting to wonder if my decomp might be to blame too??? it will start though just takes a bit to get it too

i checked the deomp it seems to be workin fine. i was able to hear it work when i cranked it by hand before i but the motor in

Kuma

#5 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (JOEYblaze440 @ Apr 16 2010, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i checked the deomp it seems to be workin fine. i was able to hear it work when i cranked it by hand before i but the motor in

Pull the spark plug, see how it cranks, I'm not sure how to see if the decomp is working unless you pull the valve cover and look.

Canniboomer

#6 Post by Canniboomer »

connector plugs switched near the battery and relay?... or maybe still in gear with an internal clutch problem?.. I would not give any more juice to the starter until you know it turns over free manually using the flywheel nut.

MX Quad Dad

#7 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (moto440 @ Apr 16 2010, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I highly recomend if your decompression doesn't work and you did not disable it, that you stop running it and pull the valve cover and fix it. When we lost the decomp, it only ran for a few minuits after we knew about it and when we tore it down it looked like a piece put a gouge in one of the buckets which was eating up the bucket bore. very much longer and it most likely would have stuck. plus I think a piece of the pin went down the oil return hole from the head.

MX Quad Dad

#8 Post by MX Quad Dad »

first try turning it over by hand without the plug. should turn over fairly easy. then clean all electrical connections, especially the grounds. Low voltage will make your starter get hot fairly quick. If it still acts up you caan try running a ground jumper directly to the starter body.

JOEYblaze440

#9 Post by JOEYblaze440 »

thanx guys i will check those things out and see what i come up wit

JOEYblaze440

#10 Post by JOEYblaze440 »

by the way i did get it started and it ran great