Supercharged Cannondale

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
ScramblerXLE

#11 Post by ScramblerXLE »

Is there a reason chain/sprockets wouldn't work? If it would be too much shock I would imagine a slipper clutch could take care of that. Just thinking out loud...

cdsracer

#12 Post by cdsracer »

Haven't tested it on the street or dirt yet. Still building/testing/tuning. We weren't sure it would survive the dyno but it has done really well. This is primarily a sand bike as are most of our rides. The belt will be getting a cover for the flywheel area that allows for drainage of sand/debris/water.

Charts? Yes, we have had it on the dyno and I can post the chart but I'll have to get it back from Jeremi. The dyno was reading low for everything we tested on it due to recent software changes but for comparison purposes: this bike made 40rwhp normally aspirated. We hooked the supercharger up and got it to 56rwhp before we ran out of time. So, a gain of 16rwhp with minimal tuning. It makes 6psi of boost at about 2600rpm. We're going to feed it some methanol and crank up the wastegate for some higher boost levels. Back to the dyno...

-Chris

kdeal

#13 Post by kdeal »

wink.gif

How about a pic of the intake? I see the filter, but where does it connect to the throttle body?

jinx44

#14 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (ScramblerXLE @ Apr 30 2010, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there a reason chain/sprockets wouldn't work? If it would be too much shock I would imagine a slipper clutch could take care of that. Just thinking out loud...

One thing would be the weight. That's a lot of weight swinging off the end of a crankshaft. Another would be the shock. Due to the shock, the chain would have to be EXTREMELY tight, which would be very hard on the chain. Blowers do have surges too, which would be detrimental to a chain setup. One more thing would be the linear speed of the chain. Its significantly higher than engine RPM in most setups.

ScramblerXLE

#15 Post by ScramblerXLE »

I have been thinking about it, and about the only way to do it would probably be to use a high performance cam-chain like setup and even that would likely need to be baithed in oil to last, so a chain setup probably wouldn't work. Therefor: if I ever boost something it would likely have to be turbo'd... VERY cool project though!

cdsracer

#16 Post by cdsracer »

You can see where the throttle body connects to the charge pipe (intake between supercharger and engine) in the picture that shows the boost gauge. It is right under the boost gauge and runs to the right side of the steering stem and then down to the supercharger.

moto440

#17 Post by moto440 »

very cool. i wonder if a small centifugal would save some weight over the roots?? i know the vortech on my camaro wouldnt but maybe one off a honda or something? a powerdyne is belt operated inside and requires no oil which is nice for a custom application

MX Quad Dad

#18 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (jinx44 @ Apr 30 2010, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One thing would be the weight. That's a lot of weight swinging off the end of a crankshaft. Another would be the shock. Due to the shock, the chain would have to be EXTREMELY tight, which would be very hard on the chain. Blowers do have surges too, which would be detrimental to a chain setup. One more thing would be the linear speed of the chain. Its significantly higher than engine RPM in most setups.

A belt comming off or apart at 10500 rpm is going to get you attention (to put it mildly). A chain????????? not by my foot, shin and knee. and if your laying down over the tank the rest of your right side isn't far away.

cdsracer

#19 Post by cdsracer »

I haven't weighed it, but the blower feels like it weighs less than a size 9 battery. If/when I ever take it out, I'll put it on a scale.

We considered using a chain and found that the belt was perfectly adequate. So far we haven't experienced any slippage and it fits very tightly. We'll see what happens as we increase boost levels.

funmachines

#20 Post by funmachines »

That is way cool. It will be interesting to see how far you can go and still have it live.