Locked Up

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
kevin444

#1 Post by kevin444 »

hello,

been awhile since ive visited.....

quick question; before i tear her down again......

(i know the quad from the inside out and have done a full rebuild from the crank up "new bearing") last season.....

was riding on sunday, she was performing prefect, nice and cool.....after ripping down a straight away for 5-10mins almost wide open, she just bogged out...5,4,3,2,1....stalled.....after that locked up, could not break her loose even dragging and dropping the clutch!?! well probably opeing it up tonight, but just curious to see if there were any suggestions on what too look for other than the obvious? hopping it may just be a piston or ring seized up, but what about the trans, has anyopne had one lock up? my only other thoughts is the decomp coming apart again! last time it took out one of my cams, and keep in mind it was new......

thanks....

proflow

#2 Post by proflow »

Be looking for any hardware that may have backed out .
Sometimes the Cart plate bolts come loose & jamb things up.

Proflow

kevin444

#3 Post by kevin444 »

thanks, i'm hoping its not to bad; funny thing was there was no noises or clunking, etc...dune season is right around the corner out here! Halloween @ Dumont Dunes is Awesome!

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

What are you using for a piston kit? There were some made with too tight of a piston to liner clearance. Do you have an aluminum piston sleeve liner or a steel one?

kevin444

#5 Post by kevin444 »

forget the brand name, the one Dave "canno-moto" carries; alum piston and sleeve

**** i miss south florida.....hows that storm looking; thats the only thing i dont miss other than the 3rd wrld areas....

kevin444

#6 Post by kevin444 »

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

I honestly cant remember a Dale ever just seizing up from a piston.Usually its seize then boom so fast you never notice the seize part so you might get lucky unless a valve dropped.I hope its not that.Good luck.

rayspeed

#8 Post by rayspeed »

I had a trans break a gear... it would still run... and so would yours either in neutral or with the clutch pulled.
Have had snap rings come out of pistons... that warns you with noise, but with that piston you have should not have that issue. Dropped valve it just stops dead, loose bolts can be either noise or sudden stop. About the only thing that kills a pistion like you have is running it lean, was your mapping dialed in?

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

When decomp breaks at least the valve,spring and retainer of the one decomp is on should be replaced since it went through heck.Was it replaced last time your decomp broke?

claas900

#10 Post by claas900 »

Could also be a main bearing.