Locked Up

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
kevin444

#11 Post by kevin444 »

yup,

i had to get a new cam and decomp sad.gif
the shear pin did its job, but lost 1 cam due to all the decomp parts; oh and one bucket, but that was last july....im tearing it down for sure tmrw night, and i cant wait to see what i find.....i'll post pictures for all you dale heads out there....lets just hope their is not much to take pics of though....

thanx

jinx44

#12 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Aug 31 2010, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I honestly cant remember a Dale ever just seizing up from a piston.Usually its seize then boom so fast you never notice the seize part so you might get lucky unless a valve dropped.I hope its not that.Good luck.

I have seized a piston, due to trash in the inlet screen and low oil flow. Usually if its a seized piston, it will loosen after it cools.

I am taking apart a speed engine today that is locked up TIGHT. It absolutely will not budge in either direction even with a socket on both the flywheel and the output side nut. I will post back up what I find.

kevin444

#13 Post by kevin444 »

couple hrs, and ill be starting the tear down......lets hope its not a main bearing or any head damage! all bearing and crank were replaced last summer.....

i do ride hard though!

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

Like I said when decomp goes you must replace the valve,spring and retainer along with it.Been there and I paid price also for not doing that.Sucks though.

jinx44

#15 Post by jinx44 »

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I finally got the engine out of this speed and pulled it apart. Previous owner said it was recently sent to ATK and rebuilt/updated. Now, keep in mind this is 3rd hand info and I was not the one that personally had the work done.

He said he was riding it on an MX track when the engine seized. A couple weeks later, he tried to start it and it fired back up then seized again after a few minutes of riding.

So, pulled the topend and its obvious that the exhaust valves have been contacting the piston. Valves appear to be seated firmly, so I do not think they are bent, but they will come out before the head is reused.

Piston and liner looked fine, crank still wouldn't turn. So, I pulled the cartridge plate. The scavenge pump was stuck, but there was nothing in it, just enough scarring on the rotors to keep it from turning smoothly. Everything else was looking good. I drove the liner out from the bottom and then I found a wrist pin clip in the bottom end. Piston was at BDC.

Then the big issue was evident. The piston is stuck against the crank! The wrist pin area of the piston is TIGHT against the bobweight of the crank. Infact, it egg shaped the aluminum and I believe that is what knocked the clip out. I still can not get the crank to spin and free the piston from it. The only thing I can guess is maybe the rod is bent?

I found the case has been previously cracked between the crank area and transmission. It had been epoxied. The crank is also dated 2/08 and this bike was dynoed much earlier that year so its obviously not the original crank. One thing to note, the decomp has been updated with the bolt instead of the pin. I didn't think that was one of ATKs updates? Red locktite was used on everything, but no type of locking fasteners. Also, if this was infact ATK updated, they must own stock in Permatex because i have never saw so much used on one engine before.

wistech

#16 Post by wistech »

I had a new motard 5th gear sieze onto the mainshaft after a day of riding. Looked like it was just made to tight. Had to pull the chain to get the quad back .

cannondale27

#17 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (jinx44 @ Sep 1 2010, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then the big issue was evident. The piston is stuck against the crank! The wrist pin area of the piston is TIGHT against the bobweight of the crank. Infact, it egg shaped the aluminum and I believe that is what knocked the clip out. I still can not get the crank to spin and free the piston from it. The only thing I can guess is maybe the rod is bent?

The weld ATK puts on the Bobwieght contacts the piston. Usually makes some clearance! Maybe yours is a bigger gob of weld. More than likely though the bigend rod bearing failed since they refused to put Z400 bearings in all thier cranks. This would explain the metal that went through pump, the valve contact and now the locked up crank.

Did you try a block of wood and a BFH against the piston to try breaking it free? If locked right at TDC I could see this being a real problem! Did you get the sleeve out? If not use one of those plugs that plumbers use to block off pipes. Sleeve is worth saving if its a Nicasil one. Once out all you can do is remove the crankplate and try getting at the wristpin or just chisel away the piston since its junk anyway.

kevin444

#18 Post by kevin444 »

sorry guys....have not had a chance to see what my issue is yet.....

got a kid on the way, but did pickup a 2010 f150 4x4 5.4; sweet!....im sure there are some haters out there....

very interesting "jinx44" i hope i dont have that much to deal with, but you never know with these engines......

im sure this weekend i finally tear it down....

keep ya all posted; have a great weekend!

Kevin

jinx44

#19 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Sep 1 2010, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The weld ATK puts on the Bobwieght contacts the piston. Usually makes some clearance! Maybe yours is a bigger gob of weld. More than likely though the bigend rod bearing failed since they refused to put Z400 bearings in all thier cranks. This would explain the metal that went through pump, the valve contact and now the locked up crank.

Did you try a block of wood and a BFH against the piston to try breaking it free? If locked right at TDC I could see this being a real problem! Did you get the sleeve out? If not use one of those plugs that plumbers use to block off pipes. Sleeve is worth saving if its a Nicasil one. Once out all you can do is remove the crankplate and try getting at the wristpin or just chisel away the piston since its junk anyway.

Right at the weld is where its stuck. Its locked at BDC and the crank will not turn at all. I am sure the big bearing went, but you would think that would make even more clearance.

I took the crank plate off first, then drove the sleeve upward. It had some scaring on it so I wasn't too worried about saving it. It is shallow dimple though.

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

If thats the case then your home free as long as wristpin comes out.