Locked Up

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
kevin444

#21 Post by kevin444 »

update......

well after ignoring the dale for the last couple of weeks due to getting ready for a baby and pure laziness, i finally looked at her up close after a "few" beers at 2:30 am with a friend......

opened the clutch cover, pulled the clutch assembly out, and removed the starter. with a little effort i was able to break the "seized" piston loose via the bolt on the stator side. she broke loose, and had what felt like compression. lets try to fire it up....2:45 am.....ok......no go! wierd noise from the head area? oh look the friggin head pipe is cracked; i have the FMF Ti....oh and there green blood dripping out! lets drain the oil......arrr more green / dino juice! so thats where we stopped. i guess it had to of over heated after pretty much WOT for 10-15mins on a real long stright away and cracked a sleeve......i figure it must have either truly seized or was actually hyrolocked from the coolant? but the exhaust crack is kinda crazy; nice 1"1/2 or so.....so ill tear her down all the way and hopefully get away with a piston kit and head pipe. this engine was built last summer july / august and had countless of hardcore riding; we ride hard and on trips to the dunes will do 10-12hrs in a weekend. also keep in mind that im out here in the desert and she has seen some ridiculas temps 110-120, something i've been battling with since i've had the dale....

any one with a head pipe please hit me up.....i'll grab a kit from dave more than likely....

have a great sunday!

rayspeed

#22 Post by rayspeed »

The coolant hitting the hot pipe is probably what did it in... If it is just a cracked sleeve it is a pretty quick fix. Dave has sleeves without dimples if you are running stock size piston and it wont happen again.

cannondale27

#23 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes steam is incredibly destructive. Had a YFZ that I hit some snow with a hot pipe and it looked as though a M80 blew a hole in pipe.

kevin444

#24 Post by kevin444 »

yup i agree.....this is not my first rodeo; this will be my 4th or 5th install.....seriusly the heat out here is bad on the machines during the summer, but i just cant help from riding......

.....again, ill be lloking for a headpipe so please chimne in.....

ill know the next day or so if it is only the sleeve; crossing my fingers, the weather is just about to get 100% in the next few weeks...

Kevin