Valve Clearance Issue

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
2000ex

#21 Post by 2000ex »

x2 with the advice of a D&M kit. I have had this happen myself where the map and throttle cal are out of wack causing the exact same symptoms. Start with the items that are easily checked then dig into it if all else has been exhausted. Personally one should not think about owning one of these without the D&M kit.

who_gives_a6

#22 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Decomp seems to check out good from what I've found on it through searching. Was told it was just done, and see no signs of issues from reading through topics about it. One thing I didn't think about though is ring gap and position on the piston. I didn't think to check that. It had good compression but I've seen some posts about it causing loss of power and issues when not gapped or positioned properly. The piston is a CP 97mm and I see what the manual says for stock, but is there anything different with the CP? Is is to the same gap specs and such, or does CP have its own measurements?
Makes me wish I would've checked that just to be safe before.

I'll go the route of D&M and the rest later. I just want to check every little detail while motor's out so hopefully it's the last time to do so, for a long time.

cannondale27

#23 Post by cannondale27 »

When you say it has good compression what do you mean? What is the compression?

who_gives_a6

#24 Post by who_gives_a6 »

I don't recall. I checked it last time I messed with it quite some time ago. I remember it being good but been too long to remember and don't have a tester now. Had borrowed that one.

cannondale27

#25 Post by cannondale27 »

So what is "good"?

who_gives_a6

#26 Post by who_gives_a6 »

I may sound like a Jackass but don't recall exactly. I remember researching it, then testing and seeing it was ok. It's been over a year now. Best I could find on searching here was over 60 to start, and under it'd be hard or not start. But didn't bring back any memory of what I got before. Will probably just try to loan another tester anyway or remove piston and check gaps/positions because the more I read and look at this thing, the more worried I get that something was not done right somewhere.

Canniboomer

#27 Post by Canniboomer »

I can send down a sidecover gasket and any shims you may need.....PM sent

who_gives_a6

#28 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Thanks Boomer. Will probably hit you up on that. Want to figure out a few things first in case I need something else too.

Two questions remain though if anyone knows the answers:
1. Is the ring gap placement the same for a CP as it is for the stocker in manual or is it different?
2. What is the gapping for the rings on a CP? Again, same as stocker in manual or different?

Gonna take out the piston tomorrow or Tuesday and have a look and some gap checking/ring placement checks. I want this thing by the book before I put it back together. Hopefully can get it together to maybe make a run to meet up with someone next weekend if possible. I'd kill to hear this thing run, lol.

who_gives_a6

#29 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Anyone know on the gap and ring placement?

cannondale27

#30 Post by cannondale27 »

For ring placement just make sure the gaps are not over one another and not in line with wristpin ends.Ring gap is bore x .005in make sure you measure the bore in inches.