Supercharged Cannondale

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
proflow

#31 Post by proflow »

QUOTE (2000ex @ Dec 8 2010, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was it a known good crank that went out that fast?

Keep this one going guys---Proflow

cdsracer

#32 Post by cdsracer »

Yes, good crank with z400 bearing in it. But it was getting methanol in the oil (blowing by rings) as well as suspect overfueling at idle so that will destroy bearings fast!

The methanol is really tricky to work with...had to change all fuel lines including in the tank, all o-rings, the fuel pump, injectors etc...drain and seal fuel system when not in use and tuning is funny because it will run well even if you're way off. Tuning at idle is practically blind since the wideband hardly picks it up at low rpm and it runs the same even with huge adjustments. We got it dialed under boost, but I'm convinced it was rich at idle and accelerated wear on rings, got into oil and destroyed the bottom end. We'll see what got wasted when we open it up...

It has to run way rich on boost with the methanol and the motor runs so cool. After dozens of runs on the dyno the motor was only lukewarm to the touch. Smells good too.

claas900

#33 Post by claas900 »

I'll be couriers to know what locked up. Man 30mins on a tank is a lot of fuel. A video would be cool.

2000ex

#34 Post by 2000ex »

I guess you didn't take the slow approach to trying to max out power with the supercharger by running that plus Meth at once tongue.gif

pcleiter

#35 Post by pcleiter »

Most excellent. How much time have you put into the setup so far?

How does it sound?

Kuma

#36 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (cdsracer @ Dec 8 2010, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ran it on methanol at the dunes, 30 minutes of ride time per tank. About two and a half tanks in it started venting oil and then the bottom end seized up.

The supercharger can only put out 8psi, so we're going to go back to 91 octane after repairing the bottom end.

Other than that, it was ridiculously powerful and made our 478's look like 400ex's. Pretty much 5th gear in the dunes everywhere...going to change the gearing too.

If you put a larger pully on the drive side or smaller on the driven side of the setup you should be able to get more boost.

I did a super charger on a 914 motor and if I recall the timing was locked but I don't remember at what advance.
Also when you whack open the throttle, you had better be able to deliver a lot of fuel, I had a 650 double pumper on mine.

cdsracer

#37 Post by cdsracer »

Probably about 12 hours fabrication/labor put into it. Unfortunately, 8psi is all this blower will produce for this motor.

I'll grab some vids when we're back on the sand with it in the spring...or possibly January if we decide to ride Nevada.

As far as sound, not bad. It has a little whine, and when you shift, the blowoff valve gives a little hiss. We put dual pipes on it so it is pretty mellow at idle.

wayneschofield

#38 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (jinx44 @ Apr 30 2010, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You would want a small centri (I don't even know if they are available) and mount it solid to the engine with the snout right against the flywheel, directly driven off of a hub.

I looked at using a Rotrex C15-16 where the battery sits and move the battery elsewhere...

Trouble was I didn't get past looking at it!

cdsracer

#39 Post by cdsracer »

We looked at relocating the battery and putting this supercharger in that location as well. It will fit, but leaves practically zero room for the intake/charge piping. When I move the quad from my shop back over here to my garage, I'll take some more pics, the ones I put on here are pretty outdated and don't show our progress with this thing.

m_mcgranahan

#40 Post by m_mcgranahan »

HI,

Stummbled across this tonight searching for valve spring info and thought I would share it with you. Its deals with the effects of boost on a valve train. Makes me think you might want to be carefull not to do too much boost or you could float valves...

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/944VALVESPRINGS.html

God bless...
Mark