03 cannibal 450 piston new valves... glowing exhuast!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Nate

#1 Post by Nate »

03 cannondale cannibal
450cc piston kit
flat faced valves
fresh rebuild

has aftermarket tune on ecu, can't get the exhaust pipe to stop glowing red!
I put a afr gauge on it and it was running 17.5 and higher which is too lean.
added to the throttle offset to acheive 12.5 afrs across the board, but is still red hot at 8500 rpm

quick info
k&n air filter
velocity stack kit
cp piston kit (450cc)
flat face valves.
91 pump gas

I have the tuning software for the quad, my real question is what more do i need to adjust to get the tune in the "safe" zone!
Just need some pointers on adjusting the tune, And allow the quad to not get hot as heck on the exhaust side!

proflow

#2 Post by proflow »

Do a wide open throttle plug check to see what you have there. (Throttle Chop)
It's not abnormal to see the header glow on these & other four strokes as well.

Proflow

Nate

#3 Post by Nate »

QUOTE (proflow @ Feb 22 2011, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do a wide open throttle plug check to see what you have there. (Throttle Chop)
It's not abnormal to see the header glow on these & other four strokes as well.

Proflow

played with the throttle offset( its at 9 now) got the bike to not glow at idle but still glows if you just rev it to 6500 and higher..
should i run 100 ocatne?

proflow

#4 Post by proflow »

Higher octain is only a good idea if you have the running compression to support it. Otherwise its a slower burning fuel & will actually drop in H.P. Leaded fuel burns cooler than unleaded however.

Proflow

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

Throttle offset has nothing to do with the AFR (rich or lean). You need to adjust the "Injector Flow" and the "Injector Offset", not the "Throttle Offset". The Flow number is the big number "like 2500" and is like the main jet on a carb. The Injector Offset is the lower number (usually around 1.0) and is like the pilot jet. Go lower on the Injector Flow number by like 100 points and you should be closer. (Example 2500 to 2400).

Nate

#6 Post by Nate »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Feb 23 2011, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Throttle offset has nothing to do with the AFR (rich or lean). You need to adjust the "Injector Flow" and the "Injector Offset", not the "Throttle Offset". The Flow number is the big number "like 2500" and is like the main jet on a carb. The Injector Offset is the lower number (usually around 1.0) and is like the pilot jet. Go lower on the Injector Flow number by like 100 points and you should be closer. (Example 2500 to 2400).

This is the answer I was looking for! Thank you! However i have played with the injector flow and the injector offset, sent it to the ecu, and the afrs never changed a bit (17.5 and higher) started to tinker with the throttle offset and bingo, the afrs got richer and richer the higher the number.
I am going to grab all the current settings i have and report back

Nate

#7 Post by Nate »

QUOTE (Nate @ Feb 23 2011, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is the answer I was looking for! Thank you! However i have played with the injector flow and the injector offset, sent it to the ecu, and the afrs never changed a bit (17.5 and higher) started to tinker with the throttle offset and bingo, the afrs got richer and richer the higher the number.
I am going to grab all the current settings i have and report back

here is the vitals:

injector flow rate:2600

injector offset: .88

t/b leakage: 7

throttle offset: 9

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

Set the Throttle leakage and flow to 0 and try your numbers again. Here is a typical spec chart.

[attachment=11292:Sample.jpg]

Very few engines need any throttle leakage or flow numbers and yours are off the chart. Typical numbers are 1.0 or less. There isn't even a list for leakage on this sheet.

Nate

#9 Post by Nate »

i will try those and report back