Transmission question

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
MWolf

#1 Post by MWolf »

I was interested in purchasing a transmission (brand new factory leftover) off e-bay. It's needed to replace the transmission on my 2003 Cannibal. Are there different types or styles of transmission (i.e. - dirt bike vs. quad) that I should be concerned with?

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

QUOTE (MWolf @ Mar 2 2011, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was interested in purchasing a transmission (brand new factory leftover) off e-bay. It's needed to replace the transmission on my 2003 Cannibal. Are there different types or styles of transmission (i.e. - dirt bike vs. quad) that I should be concerned with?

I take it you are talking about the new one for a hundred and a half....
For new that is probably a reasonable deal if you dont want any suprises but I usually gamble on the fourty dollars or less ones. I think only once I got something that was missing stuff like the shift forks and rails but that was not what I was after.
So if you are the type that insists on new go for it and dont look back. All transmissions are the same other than somebody going to the trouble of putting in the close 4-5 ratio motard gears.
What happened to yours?

MWolf

#3 Post by MWolf »

QUOTE (rayspeed @ Mar 2 2011, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I take it you are talking about the new one for a hundred and a half....
For new that is probably a reasonable deal if you dont want any suprises but I usually gamble on the fourty dollars or less ones. I think only once I got something that was missing stuff like the shift forks and rails but that was not what I was after.
So if you are the type that insists on new go for it and dont look back. All transmissions are the same other than somebody going to the trouble of putting in the close 4-5 ratio motard gears.
What happened to yours?

I lost fifth gear and starting to lose others - are they easy to replace for a typical mechanic?

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

The whole transmission is a cassette type transmission. That means it goes in and out as one part. Just be carefull for the little springs that look like they came off a ball point pen. Use grease to hold them in place when you reinstall the transmission.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

If you need a tranny I have massive quantities of them .

MWolf

#6 Post by MWolf »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Mar 3 2011, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you need a tranny I have massive quantities of them .

Yes I'm interested - how much for transmission shipped to 19703?

rayspeed

#7 Post by rayspeed »

Yeah go with the whole assembly it is much easier that way. Wistech is a very trusted seller here.