Crank Work

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
who_gives_a6

#1 Post by who_gives_a6 »

I need to send out a crank so who has fast turnaround and reliable? I don't want it to be months on end. I was told Timbo but may take a long time. I have Thumper Racing fairly close to me but someone who really knows these things would make me feel better. I just need the z bearing and I guess balancing if needed. What is the going rate and turnaround time for this usually?

I also need a new 450 piston if anyone reading this has one lying around. Would take 460 as well. Or if someone has a crank ready to go now maybe buy or partial exchange with cash on my part. Ideal would be crank/piston combo.

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (who_gives_a6 @ Apr 19 2011, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I need to send out a crank so who has fast turnaround and reliable? I don't want it to be months on end. I was told Timbo but may take a long time. I have Thumper Racing fairly close to me but someone who really knows these things would make me feel better. I just need the z bearing and I guess balancing if needed. What is the going rate and turnaround time for this usually?

I also need a new 450 piston if anyone reading this has one lying around. Would take 460 as well. Or if someone has a crank ready to go now maybe buy or partial exchange with cash on my part. Ideal would be crank/piston combo.

Send Wistech a PM, I think he has found someone who has done quite a few of them and his turn around is fast too.

NRath

#3 Post by NRath »

I'd suggest calling Tim. Some of the custom stuff has a long turnaround. The simple stuff like that can be pretty quick.

Edit: I'm not knocking Wistech in any way- a good source, also.

who_gives_a6

#4 Post by who_gives_a6 »

What all is needed when rebuilding the cranks on these? Anything else other than the Z400 bearing? Not familiar with crank work and the engine is coming out probably this weekend. Want to either get it done locally or send out asap. Peak of riding season for bikes here.

riverat1540

#5 Post by riverat1540 »

QUOTE (who_gives_a6 @ Apr 25 2011, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What all is needed when rebuilding the cranks on these? Anything else other than the Z400 bearing? Not familiar with crank work and the engine is coming out probably this weekend. Want to either get it done locally or send out asap. Peak of riding season for bikes here.

I used Johns guy last year, good work and for me it was a fast turn around

who_gives_a6

#6 Post by who_gives_a6 »

I have searched the forums and cannot locate the part number for the Z bearing. I went to a dealer and they gave me a list of numbers but not sure which is needed.

But as an easier alternative, anyone have a stroker setup or stock updated crank already? I have a stock updated and a stock low hour nonupdated. If someone maybe has a stroker setup Id like to throw that in a quad and just put my stock one in bike and get rid of the unupdated one.

Is there still a source for stroker kits? If not and nobody has any spares then will just send it somewhere to be done. So any cranks out there? Everyone keeps saying timbo in pm's, but I can't wait months for the stuff back. Need it soon.

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

Kinney racing keeps bearings on the shelf. Phone number is 1 715 359 6390. The Suzuki part number is 09263-35035-0B0 or 09263-35041-0B0 or 09263-35044-0B0, whatever you can get.

Boomer has cranks in stock.
Brad might have cranks
I have stock cranks in stock even some strokers I keep in the vault. If you have a good exchange crank all the better.
Timbo is the man when it comes to cranks so he should be first on the list to call. I can get ahold of him as well. He can do special emergency cranks if you wave enough cash in front of him and prepay.

To have a custom strocker made from Joe blow crank shop I wish you good luck. Unless its a special buddy of yours it will cost a small fortune reengineer the crank halves like what Tim already has done . Throw in a couple hundred more for special balancing and another $500 for custom piston . If going really big toss another $200-$300 for the shorter stroker rod.

peterock

#8 Post by peterock »

Crank Works does good work if the above options don't work for you.

who_gives_a6

#9 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Let's hope for the best since one crank has 3hrs. Wistech, What would the difference be in cash after a trade for stock updated one? Stroker? Of course pending inspection. I believe Brad had them for close to $500 which isn't too bad but hoping to save a little cash. If I could pick up a stroker I'd throw it in a quad and put the stock updated one I have in the bike.

Also still looking for a 450/460 piston. Haven't called Timbo yet so may soon. Hoping maybe someone has a spare on the shelf they don't need first. And want to find out which crank is getting used for what first.

**Update**
Just called Tim and got some info. May just send my stuff his way. He's out of 460's but plenty 450 kits in stock. Saying 2-3 week turaround for stroker and less than a week for stock crank updated. Still interested if somebody has spares though.

Also, broke into an engine I bought and it appears the rings weren't gapped. Best guess that is. Scoring on cylinder and such. Don't believe owner gapped them due to compression issues and smokes. Anything to worry about when an engine ran for like 20hrs like that? Or just replace piston and hone cylinder?

Happyboy

#10 Post by Happyboy »

You can't just hone our cylinders. They are nickisil lined aluminum and any major honeing will remove the lining. If you can feel any scratches with your finger nail then I would scrap the liner with the piston. If its all just superfishal then you can take a hone to it just to add a crosshatch. Very very little honeing would be needed for this.