New Owner Help please!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
tacodew

#11 Post by tacodew »

Well I cant go check for the 8mm bolt head right now but it does have a cable clutch. The guy I bought it from was prolly in his 60s. He said hes owned it since 02. He also said he did have the motor shipped out and rebuilt. Bored to a 440. He said it only had about 10hrs on it since the rebuild. After changing fluids and tearing some stuff apart I dont believe a word he said.

After seeing what some are going for on here I think i got screwed. Big time. I paid 2gs thinking i was getting a fresh motor.

Like you said might be cheaper to pick up another one and part this one out if I do have a major issue. Only problem is dont know if I will be able to come up with the cash anytime soon.

rayspeed

#12 Post by rayspeed »

Yeah for 2k this day in age you might have gotten hosed... I was hoping you got it for much less!

If it makes you feel any better the 03 that I paid 3200 for in 04 siezed the rod bearing about two hours into the first ride. The fortunate thing was it happend to be right when I let a friend ride it that is a pretty good motor guy and he felt bad and helped me dive into it as he was curious too. Even with a questionable new atk crank that motor still runs strong today and has never given any trouble and I reused a piston and liner that I would not hesitate to throw away today!

tacodew

#13 Post by tacodew »

Well dropped valve confirmed. Pulled the plug and its smashed flat.

However looking for the 8mm bolt you mentioned I did not see one. Would it be behind the flywheel or just on the outside below the hump in the case where the flywheel is located?