Crank issues any help would be great

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Boosteddiesel

#1 Post by Boosteddiesel »

Hi y'all I recently purchased a 2003 Cdale cannibal 440 for 400 bucks in san diego well I got her running to find an awful engine knock... Well I got to tearing her down this weekend and discovered quite the amount of play in the journals of the crank the rod has been beating the piss outta my crank after talking with Dave muler about it he says it's done and is not a salvageable crank he could sell me one for 500 but I do not have the funds to do that I'm trying to do this on a military budget ate there any other options for cranks that will fit and are more accessible and a lower cost if not is there anywhere I can get it for cheaper I'm doing a bone stock rebuild as well as the updates everything else is affordable but the crank is pricey right now for me I'll be ordering the upgraded factory piston kit as well as the full gasket set within the week but I'd like to find a crank so I can actually put it all together and get it out there I've never ridden a quad or a Cdale for that matter pretty exited about it tho thanks for your help

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

Nope, the only cranks available are the stock cranks. You can get a modified stock crank that makes it a stroker but if you want a new one of those it will be a long while. If you don't see a good used crank for sale then your only option is a new one. Good used crank = z400 bearing upgraded crank.

rayspeed

#3 Post by rayspeed »

Dave is right on the money and your best bet for good info and can get you any part you need for the best price on any new parts sent quickly. He has earned his reputation here for not only keeping the parts flowing to keep these machines going but spent alot of time with R&D making things better and more reliable.
As for your problem at hand unless somebody here has an updated crank on hand that they will part with the price dave gave you has been the going rate for a long time now and going to be a guarenteed long term proven fix. I have scored a couple of cranks on here in the 250-300 range but got burned once with what was supposed to be an updated crank that ended up with the ripsaw bearing that had started to eat into the rod and it ended up costing me more to replace the rod than a whole updated crank.
For longevity when you do go back together use one of Daves stock piston and liner kits and do not bother with the high priced aftermarket big bore kits as I have not had any luck with getting them to last much more than a year. If you want more power porting is the best bang for the buck along with a open pod air filter.
You might find that you can save quite a bit re-using most of the o rings in the seal kit and just replacing the ones that are flat or damaged... you may need a new side cover gasket tho.

Boosteddiesel

#4 Post by Boosteddiesel »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Oct 11 2011, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope, the only cranks available are the stock cranks. You can get a modified stock crank that makes it a stroker but if you want a new one of those it will be a long while. If you don't see a good used crank for sale then your only option is a new one. Good used crank = z400 bearing upgraded crank.

Is there any were I can find a salvageable crank for cheap or a rebuilt one I've tried eBay and found nothing does any one have one here I have a machine shop willing to hook me up 200 bucks for a balance and go over the whole crank

Boosteddiesel

#5 Post by Boosteddiesel »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Oct 11 2011, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is there any were I can find a salvageable crank for cheap or a rebuilt one I've tried eBay and found nothing does any one have one here I have a machine shop willing to hook me up 200 bucks for a balance and go over the whole crank

who_gives_a6

#6 Post by who_gives_a6 »

QUOTE (Boosteddiesel @ Oct 12 2011, 04:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try Mad Racing in Vista if you do find one. They rebuild cranks for racers and do work with and for Thumper Racing. $125 to balance and rebuild any crank to spec was their cost I believe. Not including bearing. Should be close to you.

rayspeed

#7 Post by rayspeed »

Maybe we could sort of work together and come up with something that might help both of us. I have a couple of cranks that need checked out and I only really need one back... there is a pretty good chance that one only needs looked at and the other may be salvagable.

One is a low hour updated crank with maybe twenty hours on it but the rod has a slight bend to it from a low speed dropped valve. Personally I think it could straightened it in a press and it would be fine in a stock motor on a budget but I cant say for sure.

The other suffered a snapped wwe wrist pin and I am tempted to go right back into a motor with it but it probably should be checked out first.

Both of these cranks have been ballanced so I would not bother with that if I was you even tho that is not a bad price it just probably is not needed.

Boosteddiesel

#8 Post by Boosteddiesel »

What one do u recommend and think I could have repaired? Or pull something off mine to fix it? How much are you thinking are they both updated or just 1? Thank you for the help I was told these guys here hook it up glad to see Cdale rides are different than the rest

rayspeed

#9 Post by rayspeed »

I lived on a military budget at one time... granted it was on much less but also allot less risk as I finished my commitment just before GW 1. I now make a pretty good living backing you guys up so I appreciate your service and would like to help find a way to help you get going on a budget if possible.
So what I am thinking is sending both my cranks to your guy (no upfront cost to you) and hopefully he can straighten the bent rod to where you can use it and I am betting that the bearing and journal is still good. He checks out the other and hopefully it is ok or just needs a fresh bearing at most and you pick up the tab on both not to exceed $250 and make sure I get the other back with a check for the difference if any and you got a crank to use. If he is not able to straighten that rod then we can maybe work something out on the other that is fair and saves you some money or we can see if we can score you a new or usable rod and save you at least some.

Boosteddiesel

#10 Post by Boosteddiesel »

Now that sounds like quite the deal sir thank you here is the address 737 w 4th ave #b escondido ca 92025. Attach a note saying what there for and who there for Now here is another question for every one and might actually be worth looking into cuz im quite sure no one has done this everyone just replaces it rather than rebuild it so my crank pin Is shot as well as the rod. Well the z 400 bearing fits right over the pin correct? If that's the case u can cross refrence parts to a quad that's still being made today at the dealer and order a pin for the z400 bearing my crank guy said figure out what Else uses it and he can press that pin in my crank next is mesure your connecting rod center to center of the lower bearing race to the wrist pin race and find out what other quads use that size rod surely cannondale is not the only one who has used a rod that size if you know or research enough you should be able to get these parts at your local dealer or they should be able to order them my crank guy is positive he can build my crank going that route any one know what else uses the z400 bearing and what else has the same size rod?