Coolant in the exhaust.

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
marshall100

#11 Post by marshall100 »

You mean pull the crank? it's got plastic pump gears which I've never come across before, a plastic water pump impeller, which is nuts when it has the alu cam cover!

Piston looks good considering it's age. I was thinking change that, change the sleeve, do the oil pump upgrade, change the oil pump gears, and the impeller and put it back together?

Happyboy

#12 Post by Happyboy »

Has the crank been updated before?

marshall100

#13 Post by marshall100 »

Nope, first time this engine has been opened up since it left the factory ten years ago. The less I touch it as far as I'm concerned, the better! When I got the bike 3 years ago, I did all the required oil line updates and so on. It's been an absolute trooper despite the fact it does like to foul the odd spark plug.

marshall100

#14 Post by marshall100 »

Cost is the other issue, I'm not sure I can afford an updated crank tbh.

marshall100

#15 Post by marshall100 »

I've encountered my first problem, thought I could do this without removing the clutch basket. But I can't. The clutch basket will not come off, it comes toward the end of the shaft and is stuck tight. Any ideas?

rayspeed

#16 Post by rayspeed »

Not coming off because it is hitting the cam chain adjuster? Most times that has to come off unless it is the needle bearing type basket and you can work those out first. Or is it catching on the splines of the transmission input shaft? In that case you may need to take a small file to them if you can find a burr on there somewhere. Only other thing I can think of is there is a somewhat loose washer that goes on just after you put the basket in that could be catching on where the splines start.

Buy a liner and piston kit all in one they are somewhat inexpensive for as long as they last at around $160 usd or less. You have gotten your moneys worth out of that piston and certainly the crank. If you send it to get it split the rod will likely to be worn beyond putting a bearing in it so you might just go ahead and spend the four or five hundred for a rebuilt one because good rods are hard to come by. While you are in there you might find that you need a flywheel side bearing at least.
How does your head and cams look... I am afraid that it would be a good idea to have all of that freshened up too.

Fairly unheard of to get that much use out of a crank... you must have been doing everything right maintenance wise. You also must not wring it out in every gear and shift early. it is my opinion that a whole lot of motors would have lived allot longer if the rpm's were limited to 10 or 10.5k rpm's.

marshall100

#17 Post by marshall100 »

After much arguement and fighting with it, some help from a neighbour, some gas from a blowtorch, it came off. I'm almost certain that this related to a load of clutch trouble I had last year perhaps? it was so tight on the splines of the shaft it took a good three hours to prize off. Even the washer holding the big gear on the back didn't come off without a scrap. I have noticed that the spare engine I have has needle bearings on the shaft as opposed to a couple of washers/sleeves on the one I've just removed. I'm going to use the gearbox out of the other motor, the clutch basket is junk now, that shaft has chipped ends and just isn't worth the risk. I'm not even sure you'd get another basket on it anyway.

As for the quad itself, it did lead a pretty charmed life before I got it three years ago. The guy that had it before me had hardly used it, sold it to a dealer who changed the cam cover to alu, and then sold it on to me. I then did as many of the updates that I could thanks to boomer and I've ridden it ever since. Maybe I have short shifted it, I can certainly only think of a couple of times where I know I've banged it against the rev limiter, but I did regular maintenance on it and asked you guys when I had a hint of a problem. The crank still seems tight, and putting a bar against the flywheel and the casing suggests no play is present, certainly not like my old road quad which clicked when you did it.

I need to take some pics. I'll get the piston out after tea and then get the camera out. The sleeve shows an amazingly low level of wear, apart from the crack.

m_mcgranahan

#18 Post by m_mcgranahan »

QUOTE (marshall100 @ Jan 2 2012, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After much arguement and fighting with it, some help from a neighbour, some gas from a blowtorch, it came off. I'm almost certain that this related to a load of clutch trouble I had last year perhaps? it was so tight on the splines of the shaft it took a good three hours to prize off. Even the washer holding the big gear on the back didn't come off without a scrap. I have noticed that the spare engine I have has needle bearings on the shaft as opposed to a couple of washers/sleeves on the one I've just removed. I'm going to use the gearbox out of the other motor, the clutch basket is junk now, that shaft has chipped ends and just isn't worth the risk. I'm not even sure you'd get another basket on it anyway.

As for the quad itself, it did lead a pretty charmed life before I got it three years ago. The guy that had it before me had hardly used it, sold it to a dealer who changed the cam cover to alu, and then sold it on to me. I then did as many of the updates that I could thanks to boomer and I've ridden it ever since. Maybe I have short shifted it, I can certainly only think of a couple of times where I know I've banged it against the rev limiter, but I did regular maintenance on it and asked you guys when I had a hint of a problem. The crank still seems tight, and putting a bar against the flywheel and the casing suggests no play is present, certainly not like my old road quad which clicked when you did it.

I need to take some pics. I'll get the piston out after tea and then get the camera out. The sleeve shows an amazingly low level of wear, apart from the crack.

I would gues that there could be someting wrong with the trans oil pump in that trasmission. I would check it out to make sure its wrking right if you are goin to use it

marshall100

#19 Post by marshall100 »

Ok, here goes:

This is the cylinder head the moment I got the head off:

The obvious culprit of failure:

The piston, which frankly had I not marked it against the engine casing would be pretty much unmarked:

Top of piston:

and again:

The bottom, might mean something to someone:

Crank, again I think it looks amazing for it's age. Play side to side but nothing up or down:

top of head:

Bottom of head:

Tell me what you think guys, I've got quite a bit I can salvage from another engine like the transmission, metal oil pump gears, clutch basket and so on.