Coolant in the exhaust.

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
marshall100

#1 Post by marshall100 »

Went racing on wednesday and in the last race the coolant blew the cap off the reservoir. Not the first time it's happened and when I got it home and washed it off, i pulled the rad hoses which still had some coolant in them. Did a few other routine jobs today and thought I'd top up the coolant and see if it fired up. I'd swapped the plug and had a couple of tries at running it, belched out a huge ball of flame but wouldn't start. The coolant bottle with it's cap off was going a bit mad and glugging and spitting stuff all over the place. So I topped it up, and then topped it up some more........and then some more........all the time thinking that it had never taken that much coolant in all the times I've drained the system.

When I swapped my bikes over to put the dale on charge, there was coolant dripping out of the exhaust, when I put a torch down there it was pretty full.

Checked the flywheel to see if it was leeking from there and it was bone dry with no play against the flywheel/casing. What do you guys reckon? engine was stock with only a few modifications to make it run well, so I'm a bit gutted sad.gif 10 years of service isn't bad though.

claas900

#2 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (marshall100 @ Dec 31 2011, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Went racing on wednesday and in the last race the coolant blew the cap off the reservoir. Not the first time it's happened and when I got it home and washed it off, i pulled the rad hoses which still had some coolant in them. Did a few other routine jobs today and thought I'd top up the coolant and see if it fired up. I'd swapped the plug and had a couple of tries at running it, belched out a huge ball of flame but wouldn't start. The coolant bottle with it's cap off was going a bit mad and glugging and spitting stuff all over the place. So I topped it up, and then topped it up some more........and then some more........all the time thinking that it had never taken that much coolant in all the times I've drained the system.

When I swapped my bikes over to put the dale on charge, there was coolant dripping out of the exhaust, when I put a torch down there it was pretty full.

Checked the flywheel to see if it was leeking from there and it was bone dry with no play against the flywheel/casing. What do you guys reckon? engine was stock with only a few modifications to make it run well, so I'm a bit gutted sad.gif 10 years of service isn't bad though.

cracked dimple on the sleeve.

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

Ditto....

marshall100

#4 Post by marshall100 »

Despite my dissapointment, that's pretty impressive. I've had this bike for 3 years, it's been raced at least once a month, never had a DNF and not required the massive amount of work people would have you think it requires. My only concern is now that I'm going to have to take it apart is my ability to put it all back together again and get the same level of reliability out of it.

Going to start today, so pics to follow.

rayspeed

#5 Post by rayspeed »

This is what you are likely to find or possibly a problem with the top of the cylinder o ring. It is not a very bad or expensive fix if you want to patch it but from your described use a full going thru would be more in order. Canniboomer has liners with no dimple at all for a great price.

rayspeed

#6 Post by rayspeed »

Oops here is the pic.

marshall100

#7 Post by marshall100 »

I've split the case and there is gear oil everywhere. I'll take a pic and upload it in a bit, no major damage appears so far, but I'll not know till the head comes off.

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

If you need help or have questions, post them here, we will help you.

marshall100

#9 Post by marshall100 »

Cracked sleeve, right on the dimple. Going to extract it in the morning. Is any other damage likely?

kdeal

#10 Post by kdeal »

Just clean it out good and do all the regular updates and go racing!