rod bearing

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
dawzie

#11 Post by dawzie »

They just use higher quality materials, which IF it turns faster, it can handle the load

thomez

#12 Post by thomez »

The bearing is rated at the higher RPM to replace the original bearing that was rated at a lower RPM than the engine will turn. I believe original bearing rating was only 11k while the rev limiter on Speed, Blaze, and Moto was 11,600. The higher rated bearing is simply just to get it up to spec as it should have been originally. The rev limit from the ECU will still be the same, however, at 11,600 - as far as I know.

The $600 quoted was bearing, crank, pin, and rod. Which, as Dustin stated, you took out one you probably needed the whole deal. I'm sure you could buy just a bearing and attempt to install it yourself if you wanted to, but you still have an unbalanced crank that will more than likely cause problems again, IMO.

440EX4ME

#13 Post by 440EX4ME »

The bearing is rated at the higher RPM to replace the original bearing that was rated at a lower RPM than the engine will turn. I believe original bearing rating was only 11k while the rev limiter on Speed, Blaze, and Moto was 11,600. The higher rated bearing is simply just to get it up to spec as it should have been originally. The rev limit from the ECU will still be the same, however, at 11,600 - as far as I know.

If this is true then it may make sense to update the bearing before a failure and save some $$$, but I usually find if it has something to do with quads then you still end up paying lol.

thomez

#14 Post by thomez »

I think it is definitely a good idea to do something BEFORE failure. A balanced crank is sure a nice thing to have, and a lot better than a mess of things on the inside.

Derno24

#15 Post by Derno24 »

Big Winky is the man for the Crank rebuilds. I think he is the owner of Diamond Racing. I spoke to him once and he explained that it isn't just pull it apart and stick a new one in. He explained that the new bearing is rated at about 16,000 rpm's so there is less chances for failure and that the crank had to be pressed apart and together. Sounded like a labor intensive job. Also the rod that they use is a special one from carillo I think. Which as was explained is special order ( MORE EXPENSIVE). I am just trying to give some insite as to the cost. Some of this may be inaccurate you should give him a call or Dustin both are good people to talk to and they do know what they are doing in these motors.

dawzie

#16 Post by dawzie »

How do we know if we have a unbalanced crank?? Is there a quad VIN cut off point for good cranks. Or would a motor ser. # be better ??

crawlr

#17 Post by crawlr »

Just had to put in my .02
Try pricing the bottom end of a small block ford that will turn 11,600 rpm and you will be very pleased with the price of the stuff from SBM biggrin.gif

440EX4ME

#18 Post by 440EX4ME »

Originally posted by crawlr
Just had to put in my .02
Try pricing the bottom end of a small block ford that will turn 11,600 rpm and you will be very pleased with the price of the stuff from SBM biggrin.gif

Are you multipling the number X8? biggrin.gif

Sorry just couldnt resisit.

Derno24

#19 Post by Derno24 »

From what I know I think they are all unbalanced....I would ask someone who knows better...biggrin.gif

wistech

#20 Post by wistech »

16,000 rpm ?