funny clutch noise

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
spoolie25

#1 Post by spoolie25 »

was out riding yesterday. end of the day clutch started to make a funny noise when starting to grab. when pulled in went away when all the way out went away noticed it in first no others but than again i was riding it so ..

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

That doesn't sound funny to me, maybe it's the way you told it....LOL

Try removing the clutch cover and taking a look inside.

spoolie25

#3 Post by spoolie25 »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Feb 21 2012, 01:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That doesn't sound funny to me, maybe it's the way you told it....LOL

Try removing the clutch cover and taking a look inside.

i was thinking the same thing can i see if the bolts are backing out of the plate by just pulling the cover off or do i have to pull the whole cover off

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

You can see almost all of them by just pulling the clutch cover.

sdhow

#5 Post by sdhow »

You'll have to pull the clutch basket out, too. See my post in the 'General' section, under FAQ's...

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

Is the noise kind of a screeching sound as you take off?

spoolie25

#7 Post by spoolie25 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Feb 21 2012, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is the noise kind of a screeching sound as you take off?

i think so i will have to try it out when i get home tomorrow. what you think it could be i mean its only when the clutch is being engauged and than once it grabs all the way it stops /:

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

Back when I was learning 2nd and 3rd gear drag starts after a while the tranny got very hot (smoke was coming out of the vent tube)and the clutch screeched when taking off for a month or so after that. It glazed the plates a little but no damage done as it wore off and is still in use. It sounded a lot like a ceramic clutch used in large trucks.

spoolie25

#9 Post by spoolie25 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Feb 23 2012, 03:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Back when I was learning 2nd and 3rd gear drag starts after a while the tranny got very hot (smoke was coming out of the vent tube)and the clutch screeched when taking off for a month or so after that. It glazed the plates a little but no damage done as it wore off and is still in use. It sounded a lot like a ceramic clutch used in large trucks.

hmmmm.. the quad was very warm fans where on alot that day. i mean the rad was warm all the way threw and coolant flow was very good . i was in first and second alot that day. and on and off the clutch alot . maybe thats all it was i hope i mean the motor did not sound any diffrent so i will keep my fingers crossed. thanks a bunch a feel a little better about it at this point this wee end will tell me and a few friends are going out to a riding park.