Air/fuel mixture signs

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cdalerider92

#11 Post by cdalerider92 »

I sent the head out to boomer for a rebuild and port and polish. What exactly that entails I haven't the slightest. The throttle body is not bored. It is the pod filter from boomer. I'm not sure what header it is. It is the same one that I had when I bought the quad which is probably stock. Stock injectors I believe. And stock bore and stroke.

I'll have to check out the injector. I didn't even think to see if it was leaking. And the return is real strong. Shoots about 3/4 of the way across the tank.

speedracer

#12 Post by speedracer »

Cant offer any advice on the D&M stuff,but,what type of plug are you using?Should be running a nkg cr8.Maybe you coil is producing a weak spark,not allowing the plug to give a good burn of the fuel in the cylinder.Just a thought.

MX Quad Dad

#13 Post by MX Quad Dad »

correct me if I'm wrong but, shouldn't you be starting from the factory engine cal's and not the ones with the maps?

wistech

#14 Post by wistech »

Factory cal settings are kind of moot after 10 years and mods. Id just start out with a moto map and quit messing around with those weird ones. I wonder if your decomp mechanism is broken and bleeding off compresion . Is there a ticking noise that comes and goes away? I would throw another set of injectors in anyway after checking your fuel pressure. If thats off then you will never get it to run right .

rayspeed

#15 Post by rayspeed »

My next step would be to put the throttle body aside and crank it with everything hooked up except the coil and look at the spray from the injectors to see if there is even fog between the two with a bright flashlight pointed down there. If that looked ok I would try a different coil and then a fuel pressure regulator.
The way I understand it the ecu has a map sensor in it and compensates for altitude and even a dirty air filter in the stock configuration but not so with the pod filter. That is what the vacuum line connection is. I have run mine at 9500 ft and below sea level without any changes to the settings. The fuel pressure gauge might tell you if all the output of the pump is going back to the tank and not letting pressure build up.

MX Quad Dad

#16 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Mar 20 2012, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Factory cal settings are kind of moot after 10 years and mods.

I can understand this for someone like you who has a lot of experance with this. its been a long time since I even hooked my dales up to the laptop and even longer since scooter help me with setting up my Moto. I remember one place when downloading maps, it asks if you want to use your old cals or the ones with the map. like I said its been a long time but I remember the Moto's were way different from the ones with the maps and scooter told me to use the factory cals (maybe because they were so different?)

I do agree he should get a fuel pressure reading before waisting to much time. Isn't there a screen in the regulator? If thats getting pluged up it would cause his problems?

kdeal

#17 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (speedracer @ Mar 20 2012, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cant offer any advice on the D&M stuff,but,what type of plug are you using?Should be running a nkg cr8.Maybe you coil is producing a weak spark,not allowing the plug to give a good burn of the fuel in the cylinder.Just a thought.

The spark plug should be a NGK CR9EK.

The regulator being bad is usually a lean condition if I remember right... Unless, you have the hoses installed backwards on the fuel regulator, in which case it will not return fuel to the tank. I still think you are not using the D&M correctly or are having an issue with your map.

cdalerider92

#18 Post by cdalerider92 »

Well I have been running a cr9ek since I have own the quad. I will check the injectors today, but I don't have another pair on me unfortunately. I have to agree with kdeal I think that I am having an issue with my maps because every map that I open up in D&M show the same flow rate and offset which can't be right. If someone could post up a known working moto map or something and the numbers that they get when they open it up I'll give that a try.

Also, I will hook up a fuel pressure gauge today and see what that looks like. About what psi should I be getting? Read somewhere about 40-45 psi is good. Also will take a look at the injectors and see how they are spraying. Thanks for all the help again. Maybe I will be able to get this thing running well enough to ride more than 1/4 of a tank!

cdalerider92

#19 Post by cdalerider92 »

Also, does the fuel pressure gauge need to be liquid filled? Because I have a non-liquid filled one sitting around that I can use. Thanks.

cdalerider92

#20 Post by cdalerider92 »

Would something like this work:
http://www.harborfreight.com/200-psi-filled-gauge-68251.html

or do I need something like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-injectio...ster-92699.html

Just trying to find out exactly what I should get so that I'm not making the hour trip to town five times today.
Again, thanks for all of your help.