stator Lifespan?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
marshall100

#1 Post by marshall100 »

Just a quickie, what's the avaerage lifespan of a stator and flywheel?

Had a DNF at the weekend while running 5th in class due to a dead battery. The battery in fairness is 12 months old and just the standard junk, so really I should have replaced it when I rebuilt the engine. I take it the power comming from the flywheel isn't enough to power the quad for a sufficient period of time?

My flywheel and stator must be a couple of years old tops, is it time to change them as well?

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

As long as there is no rubbing in there be it the flywheel to the stator or the wires to the case everything in there is of course can fail like anything else but there is not really any sort of maintenance interval for changing them out. Once you have a set that is working well toghether they can last the life of the quad. The battery is kind of the same way as cheap ones are more subject to fail at any moments notice and getting a year out of one is doing well.
I understand that the stator output is roughly 220 watts in a quad and it needs about half of that just to run the ecu and fuel pump. If I was racing I would definatly not use lights and change the battery with a quality yausa or dekka and not expect more than a year or two out of them.

marshall100

#3 Post by marshall100 »

Thanks man, that's the conclusion I'd come to. I'd love to geta dekka but can't justify the cost yet. So I've gone down the Yausa route for now. Never known a battery to die like that so quickly. One minute it was running fine and cranking the engine, next thing it's just 'click'.

speedracer

#4 Post by speedracer »

My DS 450 came to me with a junk chinese battery that would hold a charge for a few days just sitting,charge it up,ride for a half hour the battery is dead, charge and repeat,gonna get a dekka like I have in my Dale.

marshall100

#5 Post by marshall100 »

I will say that the Yuasa is a much better fit than the Varta it's replacing, in as much that I've had to make a couple of minor modifications to shorten extending screw threads. I've also put back some foam padding on the underside of the battery retainer so it's not rattling about like the old one was.

Ideally I'd go to a lithium Ion, but I'm not prepared to be a guinea pig right now!