No start questions

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
stsmark

#1 Post by stsmark »

Hi to all,
I have a late 2003 E440R that has about 15 hrs. on it. My son took it on a ride back in early 09 and it sat for a few months before we tried to start it to find it would not start. Off to the dead zone in the corner of the garage, till Mom said get that hoopty running or make it go away.

We had a couple Dales and acquired a good stock of parts over the years for the future so here is where we are today,
Bike cranks normally and Fuel pump runs normally, it tries to go like the engine is partially assisting starter and occasionally pops back thru inlet
Flywheel, new no change
Coil and plug, new no change
Injectors, new no change
Fuel pressure Reg, new no change
ECU, new with map and no faults per ECU Diag program, all sensors and IAC valve are reporting in normally, injectors set to orig. specs from Cdale files for S/N no change
Battery charged and even with jump from deep cycle 12 V no change
All grounds and connectors on fuel pump cleaned and ohmed out no change
Cranking compression 45- 50 psi
Bike has Boomer fuel hose/ fitting mod.
I have a flex borescope and all looks normal in cylinder, I have used this to verify injector spray in intake. Interesting there is one large wet pulse at the onset of cranking then it becomes hard to see supplemental sprays.

I'm open to any suggestions
Thanks in advance Mark

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

First are you saying it ran fine then after sitting a few months it didnt fire up? Cranking compresion is borderline to low to start. Drop a teaspoon of oil down the spark plug hole and see if it fires up. You can also rig up a second batteryin series with the starter cable for 24 volts to crank it faster if it is compresion issue. (just for testing) Is the flywheel key in there? Is the flywheel rubbing on the stator? Unplug the stator wires to test that.
When your cranking it for a while can you feel the headpipe warming up a tad? If it is then compresion may be to low to run but enough to ignite whats left. That could a decompresion issue or piston seal( crank failure,dry rings,overheating episode)

stsmark

#3 Post by stsmark »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Dec 3 2011, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First are you saying it ran fine then after sitting a few months it didnt fire up? Cranking compresion is borderline to low to start. Drop a teaspoon of oil down the spark plug hole and see if it fires up. You can also rig up a second batteryin series with the starter cable for 24 volts to crank it faster if it is compresion issue. (just for testing) Is the flywheel key in there? Is the flywheel rubbing on the stator? Unplug the stator wires to test that.
When your cranking it for a while can you feel the headpipe warming up a tad? If it is then compresion may be to low to run but enough to ignite whats left. That could a decompresion issue or piston seal( crank failure,dry rings,overheating episode)

Thanks Wistech,
Yes it ran fine when parked and then nothing, I was going down the compression road also. Forgot about the oil trick I'll let you know where it goes from here. Thanks again.
Mark

stsmark

#4 Post by stsmark »

Ok finally got around to posting current status,
Used a 24 volt battery and it fired right up, reuses to idle below probably 4000 rpm but runs well above. Found the piston top clean using a borescope and wet. Either cracked sleeve or head ring issues, no steam or wet exhaust but it also has Evans coolant in it. Deciding if I want to deal with it or sell as is. Has stock crank so more money, more money. unsure.gif

trav

#5 Post by trav »

thats some low compression....