So My engine went south!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
aguita

#1 Post by aguita »

hi guys.. after almost a year of storage I finally decided to run the dale.. I noticed that my fuel pump and pressure regulator had troubles, so i ordered them from BW. Today i installed the parts and the dale didn't want to start no matter what! after looking to a bunch of parts I mean A BUNCH of aftermarket parts I got from the previous owner I found a BNIB optimum software.. I tried to install it on the pc but is asking for some code that it had writhed down on the box It came but don't work. i tried calling optimum but they were closed.. I tried different methods, injectors were spraying fine,had spark, I installed a new spark plug,checked all connections, removed the relay that is under the filter without luck.. I unplugged the ECM ( since i found another that says ATK MX) and connected to the optimum software and It came up with a last name of abbott something on those lines..I removed that ECM and installed the one it had before and the dale came to life! so after making some runs down to road to see if the fuel issue was fixed, after like 20mins of riding the engine die on me..my mechanic and I came to the conclusion that the piston and cylinder went..since the engine is locked (the starter just hums).. i went thru all the parts again and found 2 BNIB piston kit and cylinder.. 1 is a 450cc and the another is a 460cc so I guess i have some luck here..I have some questions before putting everything together..

should I go with the Z400 bearing?
how do I upload new maps?

the quad is on the rich side since when you give throttle on idle it shoots flames and it has some poppings on decel..

I planning on tearing the engine apart tomorrow, the previous owner bought the quad new and this was a race quad back in 2004.. its stock right now..

i want to install a new map and maybe reset everything.. can anyone help me out here?! thanks

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

Without even looking at it I would bet that it is the big end rod bearing that wadded up on you. So you are looking at having to replace the crank which will cost you in the neighborhood of $500. Those piston kits you have may or may not gain you much... I have had problems with most every larger than stock piston kit so post up exactly what you have or pics and get some opinions before using because some of them have proven to be short lived or just junk. Good news is that you can get a stock kit for around $150 and they are well proven and wear like iron.
You should do all of the other updates while you are in there which will run you at least another $350 give or take.
You will need to flush the frame if the metal got into it.

aguita

#3 Post by aguita »

QUOTE (rayspeed @ May 30 2012, 05:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Without even looking at it I would bet that it is the big end rod bearing that wadded up on you. So you are looking at having to replace the crank which will cost you in the neighborhood of $500. Those piston kits you have may or may not gain you much... I have had problems with most every larger than stock piston kit so post up exactly what you have or pics and get some opinions before using because some of them have proven to be short lived or just junk. Good news is that you can get a stock kit for around $150 and they are well proven and wear like iron.
You should do all of the other updates while you are in there which will run you at least another $350 give or take.
You will need to flush the frame if the metal got into it.

thanks for the response..kinda expensive.. I saw a new crank on the spare parts I have..hopefully this is the updated version.. im getting pics of everything tommorow. all the parts including cylinder kit are from black widow atv.. So i guess the pistons are the one he actually sells.. I do saw that the rings says Top Seal and the Piston has a R88 or something like that on the back..ill post pics of everything tommorow