Cutting out/backfiring

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
dalewannbe

#11 Post by dalewannbe »

I was having similiar problems. It was my positive cable. I was out in the woods a couple of miles and it died. It would start up and then die when I would let the clutch out. It would backfire alot when I revved it in neutral, too. I was ready to give up, then I messed with my positive cable even though it appeared tight. I moved it with some force and then the quad ran fine. I headed straight back to the trailer and left. I got home and clean my battery posts and cables real good, made sure there was a good connection when I reconnected them. I just did a 2 hour and 45 minute hare scramble with the quad. Hopefully its just a connection problem, otherwise a throttle recalibration sounds like its in order. Good luck and keep us posted!

autox7

#12 Post by autox7 »

Okay,

Replaced the battery with a brand new one, charged the battery overnight. Cleaned all of the battery terminals and connections. Cleaned all of the grounds. Checked all of the electrical connections. Checked the fuze.

Tried to fire it up and...............

Nothing. The injectors will not prime. It's as though the ECU is not even getting power.

Any suggestions?

DMAC10

Dead Dale

#13 Post by DMAC10 »

I just had a similar problem, Check your fuel pump and see if its getting power. If it is, then there's a good chance that the ECU went out. Thats what just happened to mine. If you push the green button and the injectors don't fire, then its probably your ECU gone bad. Does the motor try to turn over but won't start??

Mine cranked but would not start, So I had to get a new ECU. If you get a new ECU, you have to get someone to load the Hex Codes in before you can map it. R & S Performance was able to get mine up and going. Talk to Kyle.

Good luck

autox7

DEAD

#14 Post by autox7 »

It won't even try to turn over. There is absolutely nothing. I am beginning to suspect that the ECU is toast.

DMAC10

dead dale

#15 Post by DMAC10 »

If the motor won't turn over at all then you aren't geting any power from thebattery. If the ECU is bad, the motor will still turn over,but will not fire.
Check all your connections, make sure everything is hooked up properly and tight, remember that the grounds have to have a good clean connection. Be patient.

canibalistic

#16 Post by canibalistic »

Do you have a kill switch on your quad. Just wondering cause I had all the same symptoms, even though the connections were plugged in they were not pushed TOTALLY together and that solved my issue.

autox7

Voltage

#17 Post by autox7 »

I have 12.97 volts at the battery, but nothing at the fuze or the fuel pump. What does that mean? I am not much of an electrician.

Yes, I do have a kill switch, and I have had a problem with it coming loose in the past. I finally got tired of that problem and fixed it such that it should not ever come loose.

Thank you for all of you support and maybe we can make some progress here.

autox7

#18 Post by autox7 »

Upon further review it appears as there is no power coming out of the starter solenoid. There is 12.97 volts at entry, and nothing at the exit. I guess I will be calling ATK for a new solenoid, unless somebody has one they will sell me for less than $34.

Jaybr

#19 Post by Jaybr »

The soleniod only effects the starter. if the fuel pump isn't running it's not a solenoid problem unless there's no voltage on the small leads coming off of it.

autox7

#20 Post by autox7 »

There is no voltage on the leads off the starter solenoid. There is no voltage to the fuel pump either. Where do I go from here?