Exhaust question

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
loboracer

#1 Post by loboracer »

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the exhaust pipes and silencers and the years/models? I just got an 02 Blaze with a full FMF system and it looks nothing like whats on the 06 ATK that I have which has different silencer mounts. I would like to get a used slip on for the ATK but I need to make sure it would fit. Also what size socket does it take to get those freakin nuts off of the head pipe!

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

I have 8mm 12-point sockets ($5), but only if you are married to those stock 12-point nuts which are hard to find and overpriced... You can also get by with a 5/16 12-point socket, for a bit more wear of the nut teeth.

For a silencer replacement only, you will need to stay with the OEM Ti4, which is the only silencer that will fit the Blaze header. I have a few of those also, but NEW and $209 with standard outlet. Quiet Cores, Cone-ends, and Spark arrestors in stock.

For replacement nuts, this mid-length 1/4-drive 9mm hex socket is perfect and the easiest of anything I've ever used, mated with 4 copper euro nuts... $9

loboracer

#3 Post by loboracer »

I just repacked the Blaze's silencer today, no quiet core but I do have a spark arrestor. Fairly loud!
My ATK silencer it beat up bad, its the one that has to come off. Huge dent and bent up bad. I was wanting to know the socket size for the ATK before I attempted to take it off and stripped it, I am pulling the motor. What silencers will fit the ATK? I did not know that a Blaze was different.... Thanks

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

There are 5 head pipes floating around out there for the quad along with several variations of custom made head pipes. The oldest factory one is commonly refered to the "01 or "02 head pipe and came with a big round oversized can. The next head pipe woul;d have been the Ti exhaust made by FMF. There was a late model or "03 exhaust that used a square muffler commonly refered to as a toaster exhaust. There was also an aftermarket head pipe made by HMF that fit like the early model pipe and along with the early model pipe has the most common style used by the aftermarket for slip on type mufflers. Black Widow also made a few pipes that came in multiple pieces but you had to have the rest of the system to make it work.

Here is a picture of the Ti pipe, '03 or late model pipe and the HMF made head pipe. You can tell an early model pipe by the shorter overall length and the two pipes join together much sooner than the three pipes shown below.

[attachment=12199:Exhaust_Pipe_2.JPG]

Here is a photo of the early model head pipe with a shortened HMF can.

[attachment=12200:02_headp...hort_HMF.jpg]

loboracer

#5 Post by loboracer »

The ATK. Dented underneath...

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

That is not from the factory. It looks like a muffler that has been made to fit. Look at the cut-off aluminum bracket under the hanger strap. I have a couple of exhausts if you are interested in a full exhaust. I've got a complete Ti system and a few slip ons. I also have acustom made dual exhaust that goes into 1 can with dual outlets and dual cores. It was made by one of the site members.

loboracer

#7 Post by loboracer »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Jul 18 2012, 01:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is not from the factory. It looks like a muffler that has been made to fit. Look at the cut-off aluminum bracket under the hanger strap. I have a couple of exhausts if you are interested in a full exhaust. I've got a complete Ti system and a few slip ons. I also have acustom made dual exhaust that goes into 1 can with dual outlets and dual cores. It was made by one of the site members.

Yea, its been totally "hillbilly'd" . It sounds like you might be able to hook me up. I have to try to keep the price down. Shoot me some pics and prices if you would. Just got the Blaze running today so ATK is next on the list. Thanks