Cutting out/backfiring

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Jaybr

#21 Post by Jaybr »

What style solenoid do you have. the one with the pigtail lead or the plug built in?

I've got a spare one I could send you for testing, it's the one with the plug in it and no pigtail.

autox7

#22 Post by autox7 »

I have the one with the pig tail lead. Anybody have one they want to let me test?

dawzie

#23 Post by dawzie »

Lets talk your first problem before now. I had the same problem. Come to find out the fuel return line on the tank quick connect wasn't connected. It looked like it was, but wasn't "clicked" in tight. It would idle fine and wide open was fine. Anything inbetween was horriable.

Now lets talk no power. Check your fuse first. Disconnect both wires on the fuel pump and connect a voltmeter to them. Kill switch in run position, turn on key. You should get voltage now. If not it might be wiring/defective kill or key switch

autox7

#24 Post by autox7 »

The fuel pump has a pig tail connector on it also, but, I disconnected the plug and read both ends....nothing.

I checked the fuze. No power. And my fuze is not blown.

I next turned my attention to the key switch connectors....no power. I removed my Pingle kill switch from the bike altogether. Still no joy.

I read the run/off switch connections...no power.

The only place that I get power is from the positive battery cable into the starter solenoid. At that solenoid, there is 2 places that power should exit. One to the starter and one to the ECU. I get power neither of those places either.

I need someone to explain to me how power gets from the positive battery cable to the ECU. Maybe I am confused here. And I will readily admit that I am not much of an electrician. But if the power goes into the starter solenoid, but then does not exit, isn't the solenoid bad?

Maybe I am grasping for something other than having to replace my ECU. Or maybe I just don't understand.

Either way thank you everyone for your help and continued support.

dawzie

#25 Post by dawzie »

Big wire from battery to solinoid. There should be two little wires connected under that SAME terminal. The other big wire goes from the solinoid to the starter. Is that how yours is ??

autox7

#26 Post by autox7 »

Big wire to solenoid...yes
Two little wires under same terminal...no.
I have a plug coming out of the bottom of the solenoid with 2 wires.
Other big wire to starter...yes.

dawzie

#27 Post by dawzie »

Let me go down stairs and look, be right back

dawzie

#28 Post by dawzie »

yup, there's the problem. You are missing some wires. There should be two sets of red wires with eyelets on them. They go on the solinoid stud along with the battery wire. Maybe they got mixed up and you thought they are grounds ??

The only grounds are on the other side of the frame. Black wires.

autox7

#29 Post by autox7 »

Where do these wires go to? I don't think that they were ever there, but I might be wrong.

dawzie

#30 Post by dawzie »

OK - the battery wire , the end that connects on the battery, has the big wire and two smaller red wires on it, pig tail should be a few inches long with a plug on the end of it. The other end that plugs into that comes out of the big main wire harness. That feeds the fuse and something else.

There is ALSO another two red #10 gauge red wires with one eyelet that goes underneath the battery wire on the solinoid stud. That goes up under the computor tray and plugs into a pig tail coming out of the computor biggrin.gif