starter whine

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cannonman

#1 Post by cannonman »

When I first push the start button on the Blaze, the starter whines LOUD for a couple of seconds, then starts cranking, is that the coil gettin weak or the starter? I just put a new starter solenoid on before the dune trip, so not that.

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

If the starter is spinning for a bit before the motor starts to turn you might have a one way bearing getting worn out and you got to get inside the motor to fix that and it will get worse. Could also be oil on top of the piston if it has sat a while... before you crank it again drain the sump and see how much you get and pour it back into the frame. If you have more than a quart than your check valve could be seeping which is somewhat common just do not add any more than a quart and a half at oil change and if it sits for an extended period of time it might be wise to do that every time.

cannonman

#3 Post by cannonman »

The starter doesn't spin at all at first, just whines then starts spinning. It doesn't do it everytime, but most of the time,

r.porter

#4 Post by r.porter »

Are you sure it's the starter whining and not the fuel pump?

PAdalerider

#5 Post by PAdalerider »

This is absolutely unbelievable. It seems like its happening or already has happened to everyone. This one way bearing issue is unreal. I guess the only positive is once its fixed you shouldnt have to worry about it happening again.

PAdalerider

#6 Post by PAdalerider »

QUOTE (cannonman @ Oct 24 2012, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The starter doesn't spin at all at first, just whines then starts spinning. It doesn't do it everytime, but most of the time,

This is how mine started. Im sorry but soon its only gonna whine.

cannonman

#7 Post by cannonman »

Figured it wouldn't be somethin simple, oh well, thanks for the input guys.

cannonman

#8 Post by cannonman »

I've got the motor manual, and I can't find anything in there about the one way bearing, just the starter clutch? Is that what goes bad or is there a one way bearing the book just ain't showin?

who_gives_a6

#9 Post by who_gives_a6 »

The one way bearing is on the counterbalancer inside the case. You have to drop and completely tear down the engine to get to it.

I also had one of these fail on me. Mine did similar but after a bit it didn't even want to turn the engine over. Was like it was hitting a wall.