cannondale just dies while ridding.

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
j2004jeepwrangler

#1 Post by j2004jeepwrangler »

Hello everyone I could use some help. On a cannondale with the ecu 500. After a long list of crappie events I finally got to go ride, well while riding. The quad just dies. I plug the mil/euf tool and says the cam sensor is bad. But I have spark. I've tried starting fluid and it wont even hit a lick. Evsry thing is new except wiring. Stock ecu500. Cam sensor stock and flywheel sensor is stock. I've tried turning the flywheel the fuel pump comes kicks on . The I can't see the injectors if there spraying but there new.I have great return of fuel. I will say the spark seem kinda off. And maybe a bit weak its orange nor the pretty blue same spark with new plug. Idk is the cam shaft sensor controls the spark. I could really use some help

haulinit

#2 Post by haulinit »

Disclaimer: I dont know a whole lot about the 500 ecu's.

If I remember reading correctly it will run without the cam sensor... I'm having the same problem but with an s1000 ecu. After sitting a few minutes it will take back off. I'm going to change out the crank sensor and coil and stuff a new plug in her (cause if it has wheels or a t*ts it is going to give you problems).

Canniboomer

#3 Post by Canniboomer »

If you still have the S-500 stop switch?...first get rid of that.. Bad news, a proven problem now or later.
You can bypass eliminate, or install a non-momentary with compatible plug-in (in stock)
And what about your fuel line routing?... is the suction side going over the head?... maybe vapor locking.
Fresh fuel filter?, and fuel lines at least gutted?

j2004jeepwrangler

#4 Post by j2004jeepwrangler »

It wont start at all. Even after sitting. I have a video of me riding when It died. I was trying to plat catch up to my brother on a cr500. Then when I let off the trottle it just died. Push ed back to the truck change spark plug still didn't start. Then rembered I brought the mil/euf tool and fault code showed faulty cam sensor. Cleared the code still wouldnt start. Iim still getting a spark but seem weak and spastic. The fuel was good free flow. I tryied starting fluid and it wouldnt even try to start or hit a lick. The coil is brand new. If any thing I might just save up and get the s-1000.

j2004jeepwrangler

#5 Post by j2004jeepwrangler »

Its dies close to the end of video

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

The 500ecu will run without a cam sensor but you cannot adjust settings with it unplugged as there needs to be no trouble codes. The 500ecu being ultra reliable have few stalling issues so i would look elswhere. The flywheel being first. Is it spun? did the right side crank bearing go out and is the crank moving about changing the gap for the crank sensor? You can just grab the flywheel with a socket and extension to check for play. Remove the nut and washer to make sure the cast in c is lined up with the key in the crank. The first dale engine I rebuilt had this issue. It was and fx400 with the weak crank bearing. It had a weird spark while cranking like you are desribing. Sometimes not in a pattern just orange and all over the place.

j2004jeepwrangler

#7 Post by j2004jeepwrangler »

I've check the flywheel it hasnt spun. I have the z400 bearing update. Its not the john Deere case. But still the cable clutch case. How do I check the gap in the crank sensor?

j2004jeepwrangler

#8 Post by j2004jeepwrangler »

I just checked the flywheel, and no play. Key still lines up with the C . Im so stumped it was running great then just dies.

jesshamner

#9 Post by jesshamner »

Bad coil? I had this issue. It was completely intermittent but got worse over time. It threw weird sparks as well.

j2004jeepwrangler

#10 Post by j2004jeepwrangler »

I've just replaced it in August. Is there a way to test all this stuff with a muitiy meter