New owner of a speed440 need advice

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
sledheaded

New owner of a speed440 need advice

#1 Post by sledheaded »

Hi, I just picked up a 03' SPEED440 today its new from a dealer, I am now reading lots of bad things about these machines and have some dumb questions. Whats all the updates about, I was told by the dealer he preformed all he knew about, but he didnt tell me what they were when I asked, whats the stud kit, do I need this? I only playride around but have a 100ft table top in my backyard that I'm jumping, is this gonna break something? It bottoms out in the front, so I need a cheap way to stiffing it up any suggestions. Please let me know anything any other owner feels I need to know about it before I do break something. Also if anyone in the ny area wants a 400ex let me know(to bad the new 440 spanks it a ton tough)Thanks in advance for any help.

bouncerdude

updates

#2 Post by bouncerdude »

the stud update is for some bolts that are behind the left engine case. they are in and around the clutch basket and drive gears and such. i guess cannondale put som faulty or weak bolts in there. they end up backing out and floating around, and beleive me if you dont catch it before it happens it will do expensive damage, atleast it did for me. im not sure about the '03 but i have an 02, and i have to replace a cam cover because the water based coolant erodes the magnesium and the coolant ends up getting into your crank case and thats kinda bad. there are some engine mount updates, and the info is in the forums. there is also an oil venting update, but im not sure if it is needed for the '03. again you can check the forums for help. people are very helpful on this site and can give you any info you need. the dales are good machines, you just need to be able to do the maitnence needed.

bouncerdude

#3 Post by bouncerdude »

oops. i put that in the wrong section. sorry.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

The cheapest way to keep front from bottoming is to revalve them.Cheaper yet is to land on the rear if you can.

Ryanstones

Welcome Sledheaded!

#5 Post by Ryanstones »

You've bought the best quad available. Theres lots more people without problems than with! but you do need to address the stud and motor mount updates as well as coolant. do a search, fix the potential problems and be HAPPY.

good answer bouncerdude, I moved your reply here. smile.gif

sledheaded

#6 Post by sledheaded »

Thanks for all the advice so far, where's the best place to buy the stud kit, and motormount updates from. Are they something I can do myself or should I have a dealer do it>?

thomez

#7 Post by thomez »

www.cdaleparts.com has the updates, I believe. If not, R&S performance should as well. The motor mount is an easy one, the stud update (Stage 8) requires tearing down of the motor. If you are mechanically competent you can probly handle it though, doesn't look toooo bad at all biggrin.gif

bouncerdude

#8 Post by bouncerdude »

thanks ryanstones. it was late and i was tired. bad combo.

Sandstorm

#9 Post by Sandstorm »

A C-Dale dealer can put the studs in for a one hr labor charge after you bring them the motor... Food for thought if you feel you decide you can't tackle it.. Very cheap insurance for a 2000 dollar potential problem..

dawzie

#10 Post by dawzie »

Hey sledheaded, I'm your neighbor, give me a PM, see if I can help you out. What dealer did you get this from ??