losing coolant. urgent problem

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
bouncerdude

losing coolant. urgent problem

#1 Post by bouncerdude »

i noticed i was losing coolant, and i wasnt burning it up. its mixing with my transmission and clutch oil. i took my cam cover off and its corroded around the water pump but its not completely eaten through. there might be a small hole but nothing too bad. its mixing i know that for sure. is there any other weak spot in the coolant path that could make it leak into the transmission? i need help bad because my motor is apart and i dont want to put it back together and then take it apart again. i would appreciate any help i can get. thanks.

LapTraffic

#2 Post by LapTraffic »

Small crack in the sleeve?

bouncerdude

#3 Post by bouncerdude »

how would the crack in the sleave make the coolant mix with the oil in my transmission case? and how hard of a job is putting in a new sleave and where do i get one?

NRath

#4 Post by NRath »

There's an o-ring on the wrist pin access cover that could leak through into the tranny. I don't think it could go through the sleeve into the tranny. Crankcase definitely, but not tranny.

Off the top of my head, that's the only place I can think of. You know for sure it's going into the tranny?

LapTraffic

#5 Post by LapTraffic »

oops, I wasnt paying attention, I thought he meant crank case. Not sure how you could get into the tranny

Go into more detail on what happened. What maintenance had you done prior to this?

And there is no coolant in the Crank case at all?

bouncerdude

#6 Post by bouncerdude »

there is no coolant leaking in with the engine oil. i drained the engine oil first, and it was pure, oil nothing else. then i drained the transmission oil, and the trans oil and coolant poured out. i had it apart before when some bolts backed out in and around the clutch. i had this done by somebody who has a repair shop. other than that its been the normal maitinence, oil changes and filters. i cant understand how its mixing with the trans oil. i havnt lost power. in fact i didnt notice any difference other than the fact that the coolant level dropped down.

bouncerdude

#7 Post by bouncerdude »

is the o ring the only possible way that the coolant could be getting into the transmission? it wouldnt seem like there would be a hole lot of possiblilities. i just need any suggestions you can give me. im gonna check out the o ring tommorow night. should it be obvious that the o ring has failed? or will i be just guessing at it? thanks.

WJR

#8 Post by WJR »

Yeah, the piston pin access cover would be the most likely. It has to be lubed and seated just right when installed. You could also have a leak between the cylinder head seal and the trans compartment without having a leak between the sleeve seal and the coolant. That'd be about it, as far as I can tell. Maybe whoever did the work didn't replace the O-ring. If the piston pin access cover itself was damaged, as could happen with vibration, you would also have some (a lot) of the engine oil transferring into the trans compartmemt. Was the amount of engine oil you got out normal?

WJR

bouncerdude

#9 Post by bouncerdude »

then engine oil level was fine. i didnt lose any of that. just had the coolant in the transmission. im going to check the o ring out tommorow night. what should i use to lube it? a dialetric grease or a oil?

bouncerdude

#10 Post by bouncerdude »

i think i may have found the problem. upon examination of what i beleive is the wistpin access cover, i noticed that one of the bolts that is directly on the right of the cover was lying on the bottom of the case. i was able to see that the access cover cold be moved by wiggling it. i think that the coolant was blowing by the cover. i hope i was looking at the right part. it is directly opposite of the lower coolant exit. same level just opposite sides of the motor. i think thats the problem. when i get my stage 8 kit i will tear it down further. i didnt have time to take the clutch basket out tonight. hopefully thats the problem.