Mysterious Oil Leak

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
btolenti

Mysterious Oil Leak

#1 Post by btolenti »

Hey All,

I seem to be having a slight problem. For some reason I have oil leaking somewhere on my cannibal. After riding yesterday, I found oil dripping from the bottom of my quad. The engine skid plate was dripping wet. It was also wet next to where the rear oil filter is screwed into the block. Does anyone have any suggestions where to start to find this leak? I cleaned it all off and let the bike sit for a day, but have yet to spot any leaking oil!?!?!?!?!

Also, is the bottom skid plate bent in the middle. I noticed that mine is scored halfway between the front and read, and looks to be almost touching the block at that point. Is everyone else's quad like this or did I bend it the last time I went trail riding?

--btolenti

Motoman440

#2 Post by Motoman440 »

I can't help you out on the oil leak but I had the same issue with my skidplate. I think they come the way that you described the bend because mine is the same way and I noticed that after the first ride. I know that on my first ride I was extremly careful because at that point I was going thru the break-in period. My suggestion is be sure the bike is OK on the underside and then buy a full chasis skidplate from R & S. I have one for the rear swingarm and chasis and they work great!!! No more worries!!!

Good Luck
biggrin.gif

Ryanstones

#3 Post by Ryanstones »

Hey man, is it possible that the oil is just leftover from a recent oil change?
i know on mine if i don't jack the left side up a bit, oil will migrate onto the skid plate and then drip.

LapTraffic

#4 Post by LapTraffic »

If you have oil present near a filter housing I suspect that it could be coming from there.

Do an oil change and service your filters. Clean everything up really good.

Ride it for about 15 minutes then park it with the engine running and look for oil drips.

Good luck

Let us know how it turns out

btolenti

#5 Post by btolenti »

Thanks for the input, gentlemen. I was thinking the exact same thing (leftover oil from last oil change). I just wanted to see if anyone else had some insight into where else the leak could be coming from.... The funny thing is that it was wet right next to the rear oil filter on the upper portion of the block. I am just wondering how in the heck it got there from the skid plate!!!
I'll keep you posted.

It's still under warranty, so if I don't find it myself, I'll give my dealer a shot at it!!!

NRath

#6 Post by NRath »

I've noticed and was thinking the same thing Ryansstoned mentioned, but like you said, I don't see how it could have gotten up to the rear filter. That's not likely. I'd say clean it up and go again. See if the oil comes back. Maybe use a little brake cleaner to clean out between the skid and the motor.

I'm sure you'll keep us posted.

jcv440

#7 Post by jcv440 »

We had a Moto come in with a simular problem. Check to make sure all your sidecover bolts are tight. That's all it ended up to be on his.