Help My Engine is Dripping Coolant !!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
marceb16

Help My Engine is Dripping Coolant !!

#1 Post by marceb16 »

My engine is dripping coolant out of a little hole ??????????????????????????? beyond where the water pump cover mates with the engine block. This hole is on the engine block side of this mating surface and on the bottom. This just started last week. The rate at which I am loosing coolant is very slow. After riding it for 3+ hours once coolant was noticed to be dripping (via smell) My level is just below the full line???????????????maybe an ounce or two was lost. The hole that the coolant is dripping from is the same size as one of those red spray tubes that comes with a can of WD-40. Is this Normal?? What might be wrong?? What is the fix?? FYI - Evans Collant Installed and Valve cover has been addressed.

southbaymoto

#2 Post by southbaymoto »

Most likley your issue is a water pump seal. You can find these parts at www.cdaleparts.com .

ppogue

coolant

#3 Post by ppogue »

Hey Marc,
yes, it is the seal behind the impeller. If you have never taken the water impeller housing off, good luck. It is a pain, get a really small 6mm wrench and take your time. Check the impeller as well becasue they crack and eventually break. Now is the time to replace it if it looks even remotely bad. Also, careful putting the new seal in, if it is even a little off, it will leak again.
Enjoy,
Paul

Big Winky

#4 Post by Big Winky »

actually, you'll find that instead of using a wrench to remove the impeller, use a gloved hand (making sure you are turning in the direction of the arrow) is an easier way.