losing coolant. urgent problem

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
WJR

#11 Post by WJR »

A similar thing happened to me. My deal was that there was a lot of oil transferring from the crank compartment to the tranny compartment. I found that the piston pin access cover had lost a screw, and that one of the ears had cracked off. I replaced the access cover and put in new screws, with lots o' locktite, and then the screw came out again. The problem was with vibration, because the piston pin access cover has one end on the crank cart plate and the other on the case, so it gets worked by the bad vibes. Definately investigate this further. If you catch this early, you may save yourself a lot o money. When you do your stage 8, take the extra couple of hours and tear you engine down all the way, look for cracks in the case, look for chatter marks on the mating surface of the crank cart plate. If there are any signs of vibration, have your crank balanced. The stage 8 kit is good as a back up and will prevent the bolts from backing out, but the bolts will not hold torque, no matter what you do, if the crank is out of balance. Cannondale27 told me about this when I did my stage 8, but the vibration didn;t appear too bad. Had I torn my engine down all the way, I would have seen different.

Oh yeah, and you would use dielectric grease on that oring. It's indicated in the engine service manual.

WJR

cannondale27

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes WJR is right anytime bolts are found to be loose it is a must to completely disassemble the motor.I have found so many things wrong this way including frayed crankplate o-ring,sheared oilpump shaft,Bad cranks,cracks and other smaller bolts or screws that were also loose.When you put the tabs on your Stage8 bolts get them tight against something even if it means a little bit more torque or cutting the tabs that way if they did loosen they will still be in the torque range or barely out.
I shipped your kit 3day priority with Veterans day it should be there by today for sure.

bouncerdude

#13 Post by bouncerdude »

i got my stage 8 in the mail on friday. i tore the motor down on saturday and checked it all out. one of the bolts that holds the access cover on had backed out. i cleaned out the holes and loctited them.everything looked to be in good shape. no chatter marks or broken gears. ill let ya know how it runs when i get it all back together. thanks.

NRath

#14 Post by NRath »

Good to hear you were able to "find" the problem. That way you know for sure that you've fixed it!