where to buy aluminum valve cover

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
dawzie

#11 Post by dawzie »

When I got the alum. cover from Maz, it didn't have the old sensor in it sad.gif

btolenti

#12 Post by btolenti »

Here is my valve cover? Should I just buy an aluminum one? What other options do I have. If I just put it all back together and use engine ice or evans or the maxima stuff, will I still have the problem later? I have read multiple threads on this but have yet to find a conclusive answer that everyone agrees upon.

Thanks,
Brandon

bouncerdude

#13 Post by bouncerdude »

if the cover doesnt have any holes through it and your gonna switch to a waterless coolant, i dont think you need to replace it. i bought a used cover and it had some minor corrosion but nothing serious, im just waiting on some waterless coolant that i found through a local shop. and this way you can save yourself some money.

Jaybr

#14 Post by Jaybr »

lol, we never agree on anything around here;)

Your best (and most expensive) option is the aluminum valve cover.

other options:

Switch to non-corrosive coolant and it should last a good while

Some people have made an aluminum plate to go behind the impeller.

Derno24

#15 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by btolenti
Here is my valve cover?  Should I just buy an aluminum one?  What other options do I have.  If I just put it all back together and use engine ice or evans or the maxima stuff, will I still have the problem later?  I have read multiple threads on this but have yet to find a conclusive answer that everyone agrees upon.

Thanks,
Brandon

I don't think it looks that bad. I would use it. Mine looks about the same. I have since switched to engine ice.

btolenti

#16 Post by btolenti »

Originally posted by bouncerdude
if the cover doesnt have any holes through it and your gonna switch to a waterless coolant, i dont think you need to replace it. i bought a used cover and it had some minor corrosion but nothing serious, im just waiting on some waterless coolant that i found through a local shop. and this way you can save yourself some money.

Should I at least dremel down to a smooth surface?

jesshamner

#17 Post by jesshamner »

Is that what the corrosion looks like? How long has it had the corrosive coolant in it? That looks awful!

btolenti

#18 Post by btolenti »

Originally posted by jesshamner
Is that what the corrosion looks like?  How long has it had the corrosive coolant in it?  That looks awful!

THANKS! biggrin.gif

I think that's what everyone means by 'corrosion' and 'pitting'.

I have owned the ATV since I bought it in August of 02....same coolant. Just took the bike apart to install the stage 8....

Jaybr

#19 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by btolenti
Should I at least dremel down to a smooth surface?

I would clean it up some, not necessarrily a smooth surface, but get the loose stuff out so it doesn't break free and get hung up somwhere.

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

Yours isnt that bad.Do like JayBr said and you will be fine.The guys who have switched to noncorrosive coolant the corrosion has stopped or at least slowed to the point where it isnt noticable.