HELP!!! pumping oil out airbox vent

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Bags

HELP!!! pumping oil out airbox vent

#1 Post by Bags »

Just got motor built by Jim at Diamond Racing. Had total rebuild, 450 kit, and everything that needs to be done was done to it. Have changed oil about 3 times, once after each ride of about 1 hour. Has about 3 hours on it total and about 2 tanks of gas. Today after riding about 30 minutes, the engine slowed down and started to stall and then oil started coming out the air filter vent all over everything on the front end. I took and cleaned it all up with purple stuff and water and looked for the problem. I cannot find anything wrong. There is no shaving in the filter or in the oil. The vent update is done and all. Bike should be up to date with all requirements. I filled it back up with oil so that it just barely reads on the stick. Crank it up and let it idle for a couple seconds and then it starts spewing out of the vent hole in airbox. What do I do now. I cannot get a hold of Jim at Diamond b/c of the holidays and have entered into a race this weekend in Bartow, FL. I really need to know how to fix this before this weekend if possible. Today is Xmas eve. My number is 863-559-7554 if someone knows how to fix this and could call me. I will call you if I can. Thanks so much.

Frank

thunderwolf

#2 Post by thunderwolf »

Sounds to me like your oil pump gears are bad. This exact same thing happened to my moto. Check your pump gears and see if any of the teeth are sheared off.

Bags

#3 Post by Bags »

Any quick way of checking? They sheared off this quick?

Frank

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

If your oil pump has failed when you remove the oildrain bolt for motor very little oil will come out.
Here is a post that if you read it carefully and follow all steps your problem will be solved.Remember No1 cause of this is overfilling.Once the spewing starts all steps have to be followed or it will do it again.Quite a few have forgotten to open one of the frame drains or filter and this leads to overfilling.

http://cannondaleriders.com/vbb/showthread...light=airfilter

Bags

#5 Post by Bags »

I just got in from dinner and had my oil draining for the past 2 hours. Took both drains from frame completely out, took oil filter out, blew through hole in airbox, drained engine and tranny. Put everything back together and filled tranny and then put one quart of oil in frame. Started it up and it idled for about 15 seconds kind of rough and shook differently than it has been and then started pumping oil out the hole in the airbox again. Shut it off and came inside and typed this. What now?

Frank

thunderwolf

#6 Post by thunderwolf »

You can find the engine service manual Click here
It sounds like you need to check the oil pump gears.

haydug

#7 Post by haydug »

Pull off the left side cover and then pull out the clutch basket. If Cannondale27's procedure didn't fix it, you need to go here. I had a dealer bring me a bike that they just put the motor together and it done the same thing, as much as I didn't want to pull the motor back out, it ended up just being a clip had fallen off of one of the pump gears.
Check them carefully before rideing anymore.

Bags

#8 Post by Bags »

Drained oil out of every possible place I could find, yes the drain plugs and all, for the third time. (Getting expensive to keep on dumping this oil.) I pulled off all the hoses from the frame and blew air through all of them and had to replace a few because I ripped them pulling them off. Cleaned all oil screens and filters. Put everything back in order and followed instructions and pictures from this site and the service manual. I then washed it with purple stuff to get all the oil off it. Filled the tranny until bottom of sight glass so that I know it is not too full. The put ONE quart of Mobil 1 synthetic 20W50 in the fill hole. Let it sit for a bit and then started it up. It ran for about 20 seconds at an idle and then started pumping oil back out of the air box vent. It shoots it about 8 inches out of the hole when the air filter is removed. I am so angry :mad: at this whole situation. All my buddies that went and bought the YFZ's and Z400's are still riding theirs and never work on them as much as I do mine, nor do they have as much money in theirs. Sure I can beat the **** out of them when its running, but never know when I can rely on it. I thought I would be the loyal Cannondale rider and support my bike, but ****. Guess I will be pulling the engine AGAIN this weekend while all my buddies are at the track riding.:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Frank

Sorry.....Had to vent a little.:drink:

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Sorry the tips didnt work:( Looks like there is no other choice than to pull the motor.I sure wish the sidecover was removable with motor in.These things have a initiation that can be real ugly.I hope you stick with it so you can get the rewards of all your work.Keep us all informed.I will help any way I can.

Big Winky

#10 Post by Big Winky »

Sorry to hear that a problem has popped up, the motor has been running great according to our phone conversations. There is something going on that isn't allowing the oil in the motor to return to the frame and it is building up in the motor. If you read this soon enough today, call me, as I plan on doing parts running most of day. It definitely sounds like something has gone amiss in the oil pump drive (the 3 plastic gears under the clutch basket) which returns oil to the frame. If I don't answer, please leave a message with a # I can call back at. I'll be in and out all morning then in afternoon I'll be gone for rest of the day till at least 10-11 PM and can return call Saturday am. As you already know, I'll do whatever it takes to help you. At least we know the pump bringing oil into motor is doing fine (8" of oil pumping out). so it is quite possible that a c-clip has come off or broken on the plastic gears, if looking at yourself, make sure the pins behind the gears are in place before putting clips on.