Not starting.

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Birddog5150

Not starting.

#1 Post by Birddog5150 »

I had the blaze map added, inj.offset was off 1/10th, and idle raised to the 2200 rpm when running warm. Bike did great before all this was changed. Now I cant get it started. I changed plug,fuel filter,cleaned air filter and put battery on charge for 2 days. With key on it reads 12.26 volts, on charger/tester battery reads 12.26 volts.Is this a good battery? Charger says good. What could cause the not starting, I need to get it running. We push started bike it runs good no stalling for the 5 minutes I rode.
I want to know if there is something I can do before taking to dealer. Please help..:confused:

Birddog5150

#2 Post by Birddog5150 »

We even hooked a booster up, and tried to start it. No difference.

Birddog5150

#3 Post by Birddog5150 »

anyone?:confused:

Birddog5150

#4 Post by Birddog5150 »

wouldnt start before or after changing fuel filter, plug, cleaning air filter and charging battery. Calling dealer tomorrow. Push started after servicing ran fine, just wont start with starter. map, inj.offset or tuning idle did something wrong. bike did fine until all that was done.

Birddog5150

#5 Post by Birddog5150 »

right after mapping changing everything, bike still running rolled it outside test rode, ran great. shut off put it into truck, now wont start.

NRath

#6 Post by NRath »

I'd say your battery is okay, it is on the low side, though. You shouldn't have battery problems till you drop down around 11.5v. Mine usually reads around 12.5 or .6 after it's been sitting.

As much as I hate to say it, have you tried to gently feather on the throttle a little while it's cranking? Just recently, I've had to do that after a couple hours of riding. Just barely give it a little gas, and mine will start. I said not to do it a couple times in the past, but that's the only way it'll start sometimes. It's a suggestion. I'm still searching for the answer to my problem.

Good Luck.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

If it runs when you push start it that eliminates anything done while mapping.Does the solenoid that is mounted to battery click when you hit button?If not try jumping the two big wires on solenoid(make sure it is in neutral and clutch pulled in)If it starts then you just have to check the clutch safety switch(located in the clutch lever)I bet the wires may have come loose.Other connectors to consider are key,kill or the solenoid itself.

haydug

#8 Post by haydug »

Try your ground wire on fuel regulator on right side of frame behind your radiator, they are bad about loosening, your bolts will feel tight, but you can move the ground wires, after tightening, you should not be able to move the wires. If that doesn't work you can call me at 740-446-6700, ask for Doug

Birddog5150

#9 Post by Birddog5150 »

Thanks for the replies, I will try tonight or tomorrow. Busy week.
haydug, I might take you up on that if I need to. Thanks for the offer.

Birddog5150

#10 Post by Birddog5150 »

Well, made some progress, Stepdad went home checked all connections. Everything fine. He then did starting procedure, but did 4 quick tap on starter with clutch in at least 5 seconds between each tap. Bike will start every time you do that, when cold.After running a minute shut it down and try again to start regular, no problem. Crazy but it works and does fine. Wonder if fuel regulator or pump is bad, or when turning idle up it needs more fuel pressure. At least I can start it and ride now.biggrin.gif