Can't find neutral!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
EuroGOD

#1 Post by EuroGOD »

Before I give an opinion over this, answer me this one question:

When tearing into/out-of a corner, up a face etc., does the thought of a "false neutral" scare the bejeezars out of you?

The engineers at C'dale had the gears cut specifically for this (and a few other) reason. The design brief was to be "raced right out of the box".

When riding, the only times I look for neutral are when I first start-up and whenever I've just wrecked. Other than that, I don't even think about it.

On the other hand, the topic has been raised a few times before and I'm sure you'll get 101 tips'n'tricks on how to find angel-gear.

thomez

#2 Post by thomez »

I might look stupid, but I'll admit it.

I don't have enough ride time in riding boots to have any feel whatsoever with them on. So... if I want to put the bike in neutral and let it warm up or whatever ... I use my hand to get it in neutral. I can.. eventually.. do it with my foot, but it isn't worth it. I just lean over a bit and give it that half shift and then let out the clutch a lil to make sure it isn't going to run away.

FWIW: I have hit neutral on accident a few times coming from 1st to 2nd... babying the lever too much I suppose....

A question for you.. what tranny oil are you using?

I am using some Klotz 2 stroke tranny lube and it is smooooth as butter.

DMAC10

Neutral???

#3 Post by DMAC10 »

To help overall I use the Redline Synthetic Lightweight Gear oil.

This stuff really helps in shifting, but to find neutral is still tricky, Like was said before, during riding I don't worry about neutral, but for just sitting, to me it just as easy to take your hand to half shift,

40+ and still riding

Psychosis

#4 Post by Psychosis »

I'm using Motul(sp?) oils and I've noticed it a lot as well. For me I just reach down and use my hand and it goes in neutral nearly every time. My only complaint is going from near dead stop trying to accelerate fast. If I'm at the bottom of a hill and have to go into 1st when I rev up and try to climb it'll stick in neutral nearly ever time. I've just got used to it but it'd be nice not for it to happen.

pdavis

#5 Post by pdavis »

neutral? you dont need no stinking neutral
:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

pdavis

#6 Post by pdavis »

what color is the redline shockproof ? a buddy just bought some and said it was green, is this right ?

dawzie

#7 Post by dawzie »

Amsoil 0w-40 in motor and tranny. Winding down 2nd year running the stuff and love it.

Like Thomez said, use your hand :ride:

LapTraffic

#8 Post by LapTraffic »

The superlightweight is green, use the lightweight. It's blue.

The only time I use neutral is for letting the bike warm up. If I need to find it on the trail for some reason I use my hand like the others who posted above me.

00Honda400EX

#9 Post by 00Honda400EX »

I can't ever find neutral either. I finally get it after a few tries usually going from 2nd down. I use Redline oils also.

Drew

#10 Post by Drew »

My neutral is very easy to find, you hve to shift up very very lightly and it will go.