Air filter setup

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Bags

Air filter setup

#1 Post by Bags »

After sitting here and thinking of what to use for an air filter setup like on abbotts TT bikes, I thought of something else. Why, in all the money and research that Cannondale did, did they go with the big airbox. I know it is suppose to help out with getting air at an instant for better response and be sealed against water, but is that all? Are there any other reasons? This setup is probably just for us MX guys, but that would be awesome. Would be able to have a lot more room to work with the wires and hoses and stuff. Would be able to clean air filter a little easier and quicker. Can someone give me some ideas on this one? I would post a pic, but not sure about if that is copyright protected and all that legal stuff and don't want to offend anyone. The pics are in the Cannondale Racing section. Check them out.

Derno24

#2 Post by Derno24 »

I think you answered your own question they designed this box because it worked for all different styles of riding and not just one. I may still try that set-up just to have it when I ride mx occassionally. He thought of something so simple, but so effective. I have to wonder what the hp gains are like.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

HP gains or maybe losses are the big factor here.According to Walsh there is a loss with running a pod filter.The airbox is tuned in the same way that a twostroke pipe is tuned.Hard to believe it couldnt be compensated for with custom mapping.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

I just read through your whole TT post and I cant put in words how impressed I am in your quads and work.I bet walsh didnt try any tuning of fiter and mapping like you did.I am kind of ashamed at how my quad looks now.Wow:clap:

haydug

#5 Post by haydug »

On the airbox theory: here is my go at gaining hp out of an airbox.

If you look at these pictures, I have made some changes since this was taken. I have made the holes a little smaller now 2 1/2" instead of 3" and I had to made the lip on the box lid in the inside instead of outside of box for clearance reasons. I'm hoping to dyno this setup real soon. Keep in mind this is still prototype, so looks was not important on this particular box.
I kept the same "box" dimensions, along with shape the same as factory, just doubled the amount of air coming into it.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Now you got a buyer Haydug!No worries about dirt and water.Stock those two inlets going around stem have to be a restriction the chamber is plenty big enough to handle flow.Can you do same thing but use the stock filter setup?

Jaybr

#7 Post by Jaybr »

What about some sort of combination of Haydugs and Abbotts? A box like Haydugs except vented for air to get in and a removable top with a pod setup inside.

Derno24

#8 Post by Derno24 »

That is some nice stuff. This is what forums should be all about.

Bags

#9 Post by Bags »

But what is the purpose of the "box"? Why not just have the filter directly on the throttle body? Or a hose connecting the two? I don't understand how that box can store enough air to be any more better than just having the filter directly attached to the throttle body. There should be plenty of air available to the engine with a K&N attached directly to the throttle body. I know that some supercharged engines have this "box" on them, but that is to supply like 8 cylinders with the same amount or air at all times and taking the psi measurement from the "box" to tune it correctly and the supercharger is blowing into this box with he filter on the supercharger itself. I am pulling my stock setup off tonight and call K&N with the actual measurements of the filter I need to connect directly to the throttle body. I now just need to figure out where to vent the crankase to?

dalewannbe

Why not just go to Abbotts?

#10 Post by dalewannbe »

Since he came up with the idea why not give him a little payback?