pulling sprocket hub?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
sledheaded

pulling sprocket hub?

#1 Post by sledheaded »

Ok I need to pull the sprocket hub from my stock axle, help. I tried pressing it out enough to remove the outer snap ring no-luck, so whats the trick to this, I'm about to torch it soon.

josborn

#2 Post by josborn »

Maybe call RPM axles, or Lonestar. They got the tricks. I would imagine either would be willing to help you out.

Jaybr

#3 Post by Jaybr »

I'll be waiting for an answer to this one, I've got to replace the sprocket hub on a 400ex Lonestar axle in the next week or so.

I was thinking about getting it really cold then heating the hub? Probably don't need a freezer as it's been in the 20's here at night.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

I have a special puller for taking sprocket hubs off axles and I have to say most are on very good. I suggest hitting the local machine shop . If you end up trashing it or dont want to try I have a new one Ill sell ya cheap.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Alot of the factories use loctite I know Yamaha does you need to heat it up enough that you smell the sweet smell of the loctite burning then press it off.The Cannondale one I did didnt seem to have loctite but it came right off.Maybe a bigger press?

Delaware152

#6 Post by Delaware152 »

I have done this using blocks to get the axle solid and another block on the end of the axle and hit with a hammer. I have done this 3 times with a Lonestar axle. The sprocket hubs are junk.

sledheaded

#7 Post by sledheaded »

Well still isnt off yet, I really need to know is do you press the hub back towards the rotor side to get the ring out? Then press it foward towards the sprocket side off. Or am I totally lost, so far only only figured out that a 5 pound sledge and a few minutes will solve it all.

Delaware152

#8 Post by Delaware152 »

Yes you need to drive the hub towards the center of the axle and remove the snap ring. Then it will drive off.

sledheaded

#9 Post by sledheaded »

Ok hub came off, but tab broke off first. So who has a hub for sale?

haydug

#10 Post by haydug »

Call me tomorrow, I think I have a bent axle laying around. As for the sprocket hubs, I always thought they were easy to remove from the dale axle's. I have actually put stockers on lonestar axles because the lonestar's like to strip way to easy. Last year we had 4th place locked up at the 12 hour of america race in the pro class, but stripped a lonestar hub and got to look at the tree in the dark for awhile.