Air filter setup

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Bags

Re: Why not just go to Abbotts?

#11 Post by Bags »

Originally posted by dalewannbe
Since he came up with the idea why not give him a little payback?

:drink: :drink: :drink:

Thanks for the help.

haydug

#12 Post by haydug »

I don't think you can use the stock filter setup with my box. I guess if you took enough time to make a new plate that would accept the filter and still kept the holes to connect to the airbox you may make it work, but it would be real time comsuming.

As for the box, I am told that the box shape/size matters as far as the power characteristics that you want. I talked this over with a very reliable source, and was told to try and keep the box the same as stock. Different size boxes, and even shapes make different resonances that affect power at different rpm ranges. So something as small as a domed top could cost you power in mid-range or bottem end. I also know of someone who tried the clamp on style and wasn't impressed. I'm not saying that Abbot's doesn't work either, it appears he has incorporated the airhorn inside the filter or something different than just a clamp on filter.
I know there are different designs even you could put on the airhorn, such as a "vortex" swirl design machined into the sides, to create turbulance while entering the engine. There is even a "power-now" device that does work which is nothing more than an air spliter on the inlet bell of the new 4-stroke carbs.
Basically this area is open for improvement, and I commend Randy for trying something different and improveing on something, I would like to see a setup that will work in all sorts of conditions.
Again, this is just an opinion of 1 guy. I would love to see some more work on this area, maybe working together we can all find a hidden 5 hp. :head:

NRath

Related to Abbott's setup

#13 Post by NRath »

I remember there's a sensor in the airbox. I haven't researched to figure out what it is, but my first guess would be a pressure sensor to help adjust for altitude. Anyway, did it get mounted into the airhorn, or....? Doug's box has room for it to be mounted in a similar location as stock.

Just thinking out loud, ummm, through my keyboard!

thomez

#14 Post by thomez »

I believe the temp is airbox temp - you can monitor it through the D&M.

Bags

#15 Post by Bags »

Well I just ordered my K&N filter through Advance auto and it will be here tommorrow. It is just a simple clamp on style and comes with a prefilter. I was told that the sensor can be cut in place in the rubber boot of the filter just before the throttle body. The crankcase vent I am relocating with a small K&N style breather to the tray somewhere. I don't know if it will work or not, but just to satisfy me, I am doing it. If it doesn't work, O well, start over. What its all about, right? Will post the results when its done this week hopefully.

Bags

#16 Post by Bags »

OK...Today I pulled my qaud all apart and took all the air filter stuff off of it. I then put the crankcase vent on its own little breather, from a go cart, along with the other vent on its own filter and cable tied them to the frame. I then shortened several of the lines and other things that were all in the spot around the throttle body. Next I drilled a hole in my new filter and screwed in the sensor from the old filter housing. The new filter was a little large on the opening, so I took some rubber material and used as a shim to tighten the new filter directly to the throttle body and put the prefilter on it. I actually can tell a little difference it seems like. I took the quad out on a little track down from the house and played around a little. It seems it has more bottom end to it. You can hear the engine a little more. Yo can hear the sucking of it through the filter. I am going to the track tommorrow and will know for sure then. Would post some pics of it, but it would look just like Abbott's does.

thomez

#17 Post by thomez »

Randy,

I think the guy just wanted to give it a shot on his own. As long as he isn't trying to sell your idea, what's the harm? Seen his sig? Sounds like a guy who needs the cheap route. LOL Bags just messin with ya, lord knows I get it enough around here tongue.gif

EuroGOD

#18 Post by EuroGOD »

...and as for the air temp sensor, a hot trick with import cars is to "fool" the sensor into thinking it is at a different temp.
For an ecu without tuning capabilities, this will richen/lean the mix...depending on which route you travel.

Placement for the sensor on our rides however, (my opinion and not gospel) could even be outside :wow the filter...

Bags

#19 Post by Bags »

I am just experimenting with my setup. I am no professional at this sport and I no expert mechanic, but I for sure don't have the money to just go buy everything I see that will make me faster. I have to at least try for myself to accomplish some things. Whats the fun in letting someone else do everything for you. If that was the case I might as well go and pay Bubba Stewart to just come and ride under my name and I will pay for everything and just sit and watch. I am off to the track today. I was thinking of making some sort of device that would swirl the air into the throttle body. I dunno...just a thought.

haydug

Re: INSIDE

#20 Post by haydug »

Originally posted by ABBOTTS RACING
. I have sold over 9 of my set ups in the last few days. All buy phone,not done and out on the track yet but they will be and i am very confident that allot of happy customers. I have over 8 local and every one likes them including all of our`s.  Thanks Randy, ABBOTTS RACING

Hmmm, all this and no site donation?