Noise restrictions

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
crawlr

Noise restrictions

#1 Post by crawlr »

Living in California, I now have noise restrictions to worry about. I have an '02 Speed and rather than buying a full exhaust system that no one could confirm would pass the test, I adapted a White Bros E-series silencer to it. I got the quiet insert for it and I've tried taking out plates and it's still too loud.

The max allowed is 96db at about 5500 rpm and I'm still at around 106db. Is there a system that flows well and is guaranteed to pass or should i try a few other tricks to see if I can get it quieter?

Some ideas I've had are installing some kind of vortexer inside the head pipe or maybe some baffling in the silencer or making some other kind of insert to go under the plates.

Is it possible to quiet the thing down with the mapping? Like maybe a little rich with way retarded timing in the rpm range of the test. If this was possible I would consider buying the map-select and having that as one of the maps so I can switch to it whenever they wanted to test.

Who in California has passed the test and what are you running? And does the 96db at 5500rpm sound right? I got it tested at Carnegie and the ranger couldn't find specifics for a Cdale so he went with half the max rpm which is what most are based on.
Thanks
Derek

rosebridge

noise

#2 Post by rosebridge »

check hmf http://www.hmfengineering.com/quietcore.html Ihave mine coming this week

J. Delaney

#3 Post by J. Delaney »

Tiger makes his own exhaust that looks pretty sharp and is supposed to be very quiet. Give him a PM. I have an HMF and with the quiet core installed, it's pretty quiet. I don't think retarding ignition and running it rich will quiet these beasts down. If you quiet down the exhaust note, then the engine noises will still be loud enough to fail the noise test!

sledheaded

#4 Post by sledheaded »

I thought about puting a White bros E-series on my 03 speed, howed the one you used seem to work. Any brake caliper clearance problems?

crawlr

#5 Post by crawlr »

Originally posted by sledheaded
I thought about puting a White bros E-series on my 03 speed, howed the one you used seem to work. Any brake caliper clearance problems?

Back when nobody made a slip-on for the '02 headpipe I started going from shop to shop looking for something that looked like it might work. I ended up with a silencer for some Suzuki dirt bike. It was for the wrong side of the bike but after swapping the ends and making a small mount it worked out awesome.

cdalepilot

#6 Post by cdalepilot »

crawlr, that looks pretty sweeeet on how you did that , looks awsome on the cdale also, does it sound nice and throaty like the e series are suppose too?:head: :clap: